Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPad Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #21
jsalmi
Major Leaguer

The iPad isn't even remotely "enough computer". It's a nice tool/fun toy, but most definitely not enough...
jsalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
mnewman
MVP

I've just discovered that you can't look at your iTunes purchase history or "report a problem" with only an iPad; you need an actual computer running iTunes.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #23
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewman
I've just discovered that you can't look at your iTunes purchase history or "report a problem" with only an iPad; you need an actual computer running iTunes.

Am I misunderstanding you? For example, the App Store and iTunes (the app) have a Purchased section. And there is online support for iTunes.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
mnewman
MVP

You cannot look at a list of your purchaes. The "Purchased" section on the iPad doesn't show AppleTV rentals.

You cannot use the 'report a problem' link in your purchase receipt email.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #25
Ascendo
Prospect

My 9 year old son is without desktop and has been using an iPad for 6 months. Sometimes he asks for a desktop to do home work but he has been able to do everything on the iPad so far, with a little help from Google Docs.

I think he just wants the desktop for Flash games
Ascendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
mnewman
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewman
You cannot look at a list of your purchases.

So, I'm in Burma. I get an urgent email from my bank telling me of a possible fraudulent charge of about $60 on my credit card at the iTunes Store. On the iPad there was no way (that I could find) to look at a list of recent purchases.

I ended up have to log on to iTunes on my wife's MacBook Air to find out that the charge was a legitimate renewal of 'The New Yorker' magazine.

I should have been able to easily do that on my iPad.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #27
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Yes, it's less convenient then the central list desktop iTunes provides, but checking the Purchased tab in App Store, iTunes, Newsstand, and iBooks (if installed) on iOS would have shown it. Even better in a situation like this is that most recent purchases are listed first. (Separately, I'd be a little annoyed that the credit card company didn't tell me what the purchase was. Since they know, that piece of information would be the easiest way for me to determine if it was fraudulent. But that's me.)

The bigger consideration, I think, is to realize that each form of computer—desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone—has limitations. Understandably, after all these years, we're more accustomed to the limitations of desktops and laptops. Their limitations don't even seem to be shortcomings, at this point we think of them as normal. But one result is that the constraints of phones and tablets are apt to seem jarring. That's not to say that folks should abandon one form of computing for another if they don't see a personal fit, just that some perspective and some time for acclimation is probably necessary for making a decision.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #28
mnewman
MVP

Too many places to look. How hard could it be to centralize all iTunes Store purchases?

Maybe I'm dumb, but I still cannot find the magazine renewal anywhere on the iPad. It is not in the App Store, Newsstand or iTunes. The purchased tab in the store only shows the original magazine "purchase" (free), not subsequent purchases or subscription renewals.

The credit card company doesn't know what was purchased; only the amount and merchant.

As I see it, this is not an iOS or device limitation, but a failure on Apple's part to include a necessary feature.

BTW, there are discussions of this issue on the Apple support site.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #29
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

iPad User accounts tweaks?

Anyone using a JB tweak to effect User Accounts on their iPad?

I have Googled around, but most of what I have found is seriously out of date, i.e. 2010, early 2011.

Any recommendations appreciated!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #30
hoho

iPad is absolutely enough for that use. What else do we use computer do?
hoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #31
onceagain
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
Or could you have an iPad as your ONLY computing device?

No, because I need to be productive.
onceagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #32
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

After a recent 2-week international trip I have decided that an iPod is all I need. Airline, rental car, hotels, email, airport entertainment, car connector..... Any inconveniences produced by the small screen were more than offset by it fitting in my shirt pocket. And I know several people who have a smartphone of some description as their primary computing device. If your needs are content consumption rather than creation (which describes a large chunk of today's user base) then it's fine.

One interesting discovery: people who touch type don't like the iPod's screen keyboard. I don't touch type and I'm just as fast on an iPad as on a regular keyboard.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Well, this thread that I started some time ago seems to have been resurrected.
When I originally posted my question, you needed another computer to use an iPad. But since iOS 5, you can download iOS updates and everything directly using a WiFi connection. So time has answered that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
No, because I need to be productive.

I think it can be clearly shown that productivity is possible on the iPad. (And I had kind of guessed that it's not for you.)
There are plenty of apps that allow you to create stuff and get things done on an iPad -- and even on an iPhone.
However, whether the particular apps that a person needs are available is another matter. For instance, I use Finale music notation software, and there is no comparable product on iOS. Also InDesign, etc, etc. While there are drawing, text and music programs, they are not what I need most of the time.

But that does not stop them being useful and the sole computing device for other people whose needs are more commonplace. Again, I think time has answered my OP.

On the desktop, I'm probably doing most of the same tasks now that I was 5 or 10 years ago (with improvements, certainly). If you had told me, before the iPhone came out, that I would be checking in to flights with my phone, writing memos, drawing diagrams, finding where I'm going and how to get there, sending emails, browsing, file syncing, watching films, and all the other things you can do, -- it would have sounded as likely as a flying car.

Last edited by benwiggy; 10-09-2012 at 10:02 AM.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #34
onceagain
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme.mail.order
One interesting discovery: people who touch type don't like the iPod's screen keyboard. I don't touch type and I'm just as fast on an iPad as on a regular keyboard.

Interesting observation. Last typing test I took rated me at 93 WPM, with 2 errors (on mixed alphanumeric text). It's no wonder why I think "virtual" keyboards and cellphone key pads suck for trying to enter anything other than crap like "LOL" and "OMFG".
Old 10-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
onceagain
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
I think it can be clearly shown that productivity is possible on the iPad. (And I had kind of guessed that it's not for you.)
There are plenty of apps that allow you to create stuff and get things done on an iPad -- and even on an iPhone.

Getting "things done" and "being productive" are not the same thing. The difference is in the time it takes and the quality of the results, relative to the optimal achievement for both metrics.

Quote:
If you had told me, before the iPhone came out, that I would be checking in to flights with my phone, writing memos, drawing diagrams, finding where I'm going and how to get there, sending emails, browsing, file syncing, watching films, and all the other things you can do, -- it would have sounded as likely as a flying car.

I do all of that with my laptop (except file syncing - I don't have anything to sync files with). No desire or interest in trying to accomplish the same thing on a tiny screen and even tinier keyboard.

So.....sure, it's great for some - but hardly sufficient for everyone.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #36
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
So.....sure, it's great for some - but hardly sufficient for everyone.

At no point has anyone suggested that a tablet is a replacement for a full computer in all cases for all users. The question is, can an iPad be used by one person as their sole computing device.

When the question was posted, the answer was "No" due to the setup and backup requirements.

Today those requirements are gone, and the answer is "Yes", provided the user's needs are met by the iPad's capacities. Many user's needs are basic content consumption and they'll be quite happy with it.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #37
onceagain
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme.mail.order
At no point has anyone suggested that a tablet is a replacement for a full computer in all cases for all users. The question is, can an iPad be used by one person as their sole computing device.

.....sigh................I don't have the energy for this today.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #38
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

That's fine, neither do a lot of others.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #39
mclbruce
Hall of Famer

This thread reminds me of the film vs. digital discussions on dpreview forums a few years ago. We know how that turned out...
mclbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #40
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Yodobashi still sells film here.

In one store.

At the back.

Interestingly, they recycled the coolers previously used for film into printer ink. But you can still tell it was a "Kodak" rack (colour, style etc.). Kind of like an old Safeways.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: