Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > Working with OS X > OS Xperiences

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Charlie Reich

Pages documents saved in Application folder- by mistake

Here's a little tip I just learned.

If you accidentally save a Pages document into your Applications folder you may have a problem (at least I did).

There's no way to remove that Pages document from the Application folder…If you drag it off onto the desktop it only drags it off as an Alias copy, the original is locked in place. You can select it and hit delete-nothing happens, it's locked in place.

In desperation I highlighted the title of the Pages document and hit Command > Delete. The original then was gone from the Applications folder and went into the trash folder.

I then dragged it out of the Trash and placed it into my Home folder, where it belongs.

Charlie Reich
SAMUG
Saint Augustine Mac Users Group
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

This is not unique to Pages. Any file within the Applications folder, including apps cannot be dragged out of the Finder. Dragging creates an alias.

You have to hold down <Command> to move them. I presume this is a special Finder trick, probably introduced at the same time items in the Finder Sidebar also required <command> to remove them.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: