Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
ewyoung
Prospect

Angry annoying error messages

I keep getting 2 error messages automatically showing up on the screen after I installed Lion OS 10.7). They say " You can't open the application 'confsetup' and 'jlucaller' because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." What make it doubly annoying is that, not only aren't the applications on my Mac, I can't even find that they exist. How o I get rid of them??
Thanks
ewyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
trevor

jlucaller is java live update caller. It's part of Norton LiveUpdate. Information about an exploit using jlucaller.

confsetup is a somewhat generic name, but it is likely also a part of Norton LiveUpdate. (Or at least, Norton LiveUpdate does have something by that name in it.)

First thing, Uninstall LiveUpdate. If you've already done that, check in System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items tab and see if there's anything at all related to Norton listed there. If there is, select it and click the minus button below the Login Items window. (Unchecking things there does nothing of value, you need to actually remove the item with the minus button.)

There's also a couple of other places that can call items to automatically start up, let us know if none of the above fixed your problem.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Small point - in Lion, the Accounts pref pane in System Preferences is called "Users & Groups"
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
trevor

Thanks DeltaMac! I'm still on Snow Leopard, so didn't remember that fact.

Trevor
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
ewyoung
Prospect

Angry

I trashed Norton live update and checked users and groups but didn't find anything. Problem is still there.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
trevor

How did you trash Norton LiveUpdate? Did you follow the directions I linked-to above?

Trevor
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
ewyoung
Prospect

Trevor,
No I couldn't do what you and the Semantic site tells me because I purchased and downloaded NortonAntiVirus from the web. I don't have the program on a CD. Do I have to delete all of the Norton stuff and purchase it again, this time via a slo mail CD?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

If you saved the download - that's the installer. When you run that, you also have the option to run the "uninstaller"

If you scroll down through that page that trevor linked, you'll see manual uninstall (Step 3), which is for your situation where you didn't save the installer.
As always, deleting any Symantec software is a Good Thing™

There's reasonably good, free antivirus software for the Mac.
ClamXav has been around as long as OS X has, I think.
I use Sophos for Mac.
There's also Avast for Mac.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
ewyoung
Prospect

Add .... and I have no idea where the Symantec installer is. I used "find" in the file menu and nothing with Symantec or Norton came up.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Then, follow the instructions on that link.
hint: most of the extra files will not have the name "Symantec", and more likely you will find files starting with "sym", which would be good to use for a search.

And, best is to simply look in the locations mentioned in that link.

Or, if you want to continue with Norton, then http://us.norton.com/downloads-trial...ernet-security. That may clear out (or update) older Norton "cruft", but lots of apps seem to put files in different locations in Lion, so no guarantee that installing a new version will eliminate your messages....
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
ewyoung
Prospect

DeltaMac,
I accept the hint and downloaded Sophos. Now I will try to delete all of the Symantec software.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
ewyoung
Prospect

Sophos installed, quarantine manager run on entire system, one corrupt file found and deleted, all Symantes software deleted via ?Symantc Uninstall". Now I will see if the two error messages are gone. Tanks for your help DeltaMac.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
ewyoung
Prospect

now it looks like I need help with spelling

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: