Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Mzimu
Prospect

Unable to install OS X

Hello!
First of all I am completely new to Mac - know nothing about it.
I've got this imac model m6498 from a guy I work with (free)
He knows very little about computers at all. What he said is that he can not log into system anymore and he was ready to throw it away.
I took it home and that's what I have:
I power it up (with no disc in the DVD drive)then it says Mac OS X preparing installation. Next goes: Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer.
At this step I am at Mac OS X Installer screen. When I click on Disk Utility
it shows me all information but almost all the options are greyed.
I click on Disk Permission and it says: First Aid Failed. Disk Utility stopped verifying permissions on Mac OS X Install Disk 1 - The underlying task reported failure on exit. ( what the hell that means?)
I have the installation disc: MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install Disc 1
I put it in the drive and power up the computer hoping it'll boot up from the disc, but it keeps ejecting it.
I'll really appreciate any help because as I said before - I know nothing about this system.
Mzimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
trevor

Quote:
I've got this imac model m6498 from a guy I work with (free)

Quote:
I have the installation disc: MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install Disc 1

The Installation disc from a MacBook Pro will not work on an iMac. Also, the iMac m6498 is an iMac G4 800 MHz, which means it uses a PPC processor from IBM or Motorola. The MacBook Pro uses an Intel processor, so there's yet another reason why that disc won't work for the computer you have--it's for a completely different processor type and uses a different codebase.

You need a valid OS X Install disc, meaning a retail disc. (You could also try to get the original disc for your iMac G4, but that's going to be difficult to find, rare, and expensive, for an old version of OS X. Don't even bother.)

I'd recommend finding a retail copy of Tiger, OS X 10.4. (No matter what people promise you, don't buy a set of gray-colored discs that are marked for some other model of Mac, those won't work. And don't buy an Upgrade disc that requires OS X 10.3 to be installed to work. You need a full retail disc.) Unfortunately, some people are using predatory pricing for older versions of OS X, but check out some options here.

OS X version 10.4 is the latest version of OS X that will be officially compatible with your older computer. With a minor hack, you could install OS X version 10.5, but it will likely perform more slowly on your specific iMac.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzimu
I click on Disk Permission and it says: First Aid Failed. Disk Utility stopped verifying permissions on Mac OS X Install Disk 1 - The underlying task reported failure on exit. ( what the hell that means?)

If you tried to Repair Permissions on the Installer disk, then that will report an error because it's a Read Only disk.

You might also want to Verify and Repair the DISK of your hard drive (not the installer disk), rather than repair permissions.

As cool as the "anglepoise" iMacs are, that's a ten-year-old computer. If it suddenly stopped working, then the hard drive may have died.

It might be a cool little project to max out the RAM (to 1GB!) and put a new hard drive in. But it'll still only run Tiger 10.4, so lots of software may not run on it.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Mzimu
Prospect

Thank you guys for your help!
I'll try find a retail copy of Tiger and see if this helps.
Thanx again
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Mzimu
Prospect

Works like a charm!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: