Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
astrotrf
Prospect

Angry keyboard modifier keys intermittent

I'm using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse through a TrendNet USB converter on a Mac Mini running Lion Server. I've gone through the keyboard preferences and changed the caps lock key to Control.

The problem is that occasionally, the system "forgets" that the caps lock is control, and I just get, e. g., lower-case k instead of control-K. It's intermittent, but happens reasonably consistently if I attempt to type a whole string of control-K characters consecutively. Curiously, a change in the rythm of the keystrokes I type seems to cause it ...

The same behavior is observed with at least two keyboards, so I don't think that's the problem. Could this be the fault of the PS/2-to-USB converter somehow, or have I run afoul of the Lion keyboard driver?
astrotrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
astrotrf
Prospect

Exclamation Mouse and Apple trackpad unresponsivd

I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard connected through a TrendNet PS2-to-USB converter, and an Apple trackpad. Trackpad and Mac Mini, running Lion Server, both purchased last summer.

Sometimes, on startup, the mouse and trackpad are frozen. The mouse pointer is visible on the screen, but does not move in response to mouse or trackpad. This problem persists for some small period of time, but seems to clear itself after, say 20 or 30 seconds. The problem can be cleared immediately by hitting a key on the keyboard (even Shift works).

The only other things connected to the Mac Mini are the Apple USB DVD drive and a Seagate USB external drive.

This isn't a big problem, obviously, but since others appear to be having the same problem, I thought I would add another set of circumstances and observations.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
trevor

[merged two closely-related threads]
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
astrotrf
Prospect

Well, the modifier-keys problem appears to have been the fault of the PS/2-to-USB converter; I changed it out for another and cannot, so far, make the problem recur. The mouse-and-trackpad problem was much more intermittent, and some time will be necessary before concluding that it's gone now, too.

Tags
keyboard, modifier keys, mouse, ps/2, trackpad, usb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: