Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
streamkid
Prospect

MBP 17" '09: SSD instead of superdrive: adapters (optibay, etc)

Hello,
I am looking at replacing my superdrive with a second hard drive, specifically SSD.

1) I have a '09 17" mbp, so that means sata 2, 300mb/s max data rate, right? What drive would you suggest? I am looking around the 120gb size.

2) What are my adapter options? Optibay, hdcaddy and what else? Is there anything cheaper?

Thanks!
streamkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
trevor

I would recommend that you check out Bare Feats http://barefeats.com for tests on the fastest SSDs and recommendations about supported Macs.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Definitely follow Trevor's suggestion, but also know that there is another method for adding an SSD using the ExpressCard slot on your MacBook Pro. This is the approach I used while also replacing the internal hard drive with a larger, faster platter-style one.

Since SSDs are expensive at large capacities, this worked well for me. I put everything but my sizable multimedia collection on the SSD. The internal platter drive has multiple partitions, one for my multimedia (which I simply direct iTunes to use) and another which is a nightly clone of my SSD. Yes, I have other clones, but in the event that I'm somewhere with my computer and there's an issue with the SSD, I have a clone immediately available.

I made this switch about 1.5 years ago. My memory is that my 92 GB ExpressCard SSD cost about $200 and the 500 GB, 7,200 RPM internal drive was about $75. I've got loads more space than I originally had (120 GB), I gained the speed of an SSD, and I felt it was a reasonable cost for extending the comfortable usage life of a 2006 MacBook Pro. The downside to what I did is that my next computer likely won't have an ExpressCard slot, and while the SSD I bought can be connected to a computer using a micro USB-to-USB 2 cable, I would lose the speed gains of the SSD in that setup.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hdcaddy, optibay, ssd

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: