Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > Working with OS X > Tweaking OS X / Wish List

Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Roses
Prospect

Is there voice-changer software for Mac?

Hi all:

I am looking for some sort of voice-changer software for Mac OS X ... is there such a thing?

For Windows, for example, I am finding in my Google search, something called "AV Voice Changer Software." But it seems to only be available for Windows PCs and not Mac.

I need this sort of thing for my Mac.

What I would like to do is to take recorded speech of someone's natural voice, (using a digital file like an .aiff file or .WAV file of someone's speech or whatever) and then transform that recorded natural voice into a computer-generated voice like the "Bruce" or "Victoria" voices found in the Mac program.

It's part of an idea I have for solving a long-standing transcription problem ... I don't know if it will work, (in fact, it's a very much a long shot) but I'd like to try it! But, first, I need some sort of voiced-changer software that is compatible with a Mac.

Any suggestions would be welcome!
Roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Wodgy
Prospect

Check out Voice Candy.
Wodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
Roses
Prospect

Thanks, I'll try that!
Roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
~Bijou~
Prospect

I tried Voice Candy a long time ago. None of the options offers a natural sounding voice. I have a recording to do and have been unable to find adequate voices so I was hoping to find a software.

Any other recs?
~Bijou~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
macosnoob
MVP

Are you, like the original poster, trying to alter a recorded voice to make it sound different, or are you trying to synthesize a voice from text? The whole point of VoiceCandy is to alter a regular voice to make it sound unnatural. You can do some very limited alterations with QuickTimePro by playing back the audio at a different pitch and/or speed, if that would suffice. The altered voice is still "natural," at least by comparison with what VoiceCandy can do.

If you need a natural-sounding voice that's based not on a recorded voice file but on text input, perhaps you want to try the various synthesized text-to-speech voices Apple ships with the OS or Cepstral's higher-quality voices, http://www.cepstral.com/demos/ ?
macosnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
~Bijou~
Prospect

I was considering both. I actually tried a synthesizer once but it sounded so robotic that I had given up on that route.

Your suggestions were EXTREMELY helpful. I'm in your debt. I have 6 of 13 voices required and now I can do the remaining. It isn't perfect but with some practice, I think I can make the dialogue sound halfway decent.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
egypturnash
Prospect

Rogue Amoeba's "Audio Hijack Pro" lets you take any audio on your Mac and run it through a whole pile of filters. And save the results.

It can catch the audio in, too.

You could use it for all kinds of crazy dialogue processing!
egypturnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
~Bijou~
Prospect

I have Audio Hijack, I just downloaded the Pro version. I know it degrades after 10 minutes...... well actually more like 6 in my experience.

Thanks for the tip, I'm lost but will try to get it to work. Can it achieve natural sounding but very different sounding voices?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
seeker777
Triple-A Player

You can also alter voice recordings in iMovie HD through a variety of effects (pitch changer is probably most useful for this application).

The audio tracks can either be recorded in GarageBand, or files from iTunes (e.g., imported MP3's).

To bring in Audio in iMovie HD after launch, choose MEDIA button in lower left-hand corner and AUDIO button in upper right-hand corner. Then, choose the folder your audio file is in (eg., iTunes, GarageBand) and drag the selected file down to the Project Audio Track.

Once the audio has imported, switch the button from AUDIO to EDITING, and select the AUDIO FX button in the upper right-hand corner. A selection of effects will appear. Choose PITCH CHANGER and adjust from "Monsters to Chipmunks." Preview or play to your heart's content.

It may not be as sophisticated as some of the applications mentioned (I have not used any of them), but it may suit your purposes...or at least be pretty funny next time you show your relatives the holiday movies.
seeker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
odnok

Unhappy mac voice changer

hey i want a voice changer, but i want one that related to sci fi...such as a dark voice, darth vader....clone voice. >< i tried voice candy but there wasnt much options..oh and its for mac.
odnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
macosnoob
MVP

Try Cepstral's synthesized voices. Damien, with effects applied (especially Old Robot), may be what you need.

http://www.cepstral.com/demos/
macosnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #12
Benkenobi

Garageband is all you really need for changing your voice. It has built in presets. You can also change voices in real time according to the following tutorial http://uramac.com/uramac/2010/09/14/...voice-changer/
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
x04studios

You might want to try Easy Voice Changer, we released it this week on the Mac App Store.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by x04studios
You might want to try Easy Voice Changer, we released it this week on the Mac App Store.

"Essential for any kidnapping plot."
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
johnjey
Prospect

I am LOOKING FOR A REAL-TIME voice changer software, for example: if someone calls me and i am speaking, i want my VOICE TO BE CONVERTED in real-time on the go....

PLEASE tell me which SOFTWARE on MAC Will allow this to happen ?
johnjey is offline   Reply With Quote