Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Bob5545
All Star

Save a Version Mac Lion Preview Questions

What happened to Save as where I could could rename the file and choose the location.

With Save a Version where are the copies of the File Versions stored on the iMac.

Save a Version does not allow you to select a location ie like the desktop.

The last thing I want is a big version library being created.

How does Save a Version work with file saves in Preview?

Currently on my iMac Save a Version places the file in my Pictures Folder.

I don't want them there.

I understand that Lion is making decisions for the user but I like prefer to control my file system on the Mac.

Where is there a good explanation of Preview?

It is an important app since it is the PDF reader for Mac LIon.

Thanks
Bob5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Applications that have been updated for Lion (like Preview) don't need the user to invoke the Save command. Saving is done for the user. The Save A Version command is designed more for the value it offers if you're using Time Machine, because that allows you, through Versions, to restore a document from a particular point in time. Using Save A Version does not create additional copies of a file on a Mac.

Still only discussing applications which have been updated for Lion, the Save As command has been replaced by the Duplicate command. It is not a one-to-one replacement, but it does enable that type of functionality when already viewing a document (rather than seeing it in the Finder).
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Bob5545
All Star

Where do all these saved versions go?

The Folder could get quite large with a lot of duplicated files.

Can you control how many versions are saved?

Thanks
Bob5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

There aren't additional versions in the sense of multiple files. It's just the one file being saved at Time 1, Time 2, etc., and in the background the differences are noted in such a way that you can revert to a previous version. The way Apple describes it, a Lion-updated application "automatically saves your work, while you work, during pauses and every five minutes." I don't know how long the pause must be for the feature to initiate.

Apple has a page with a consumer-friendly description of what this set of features offers. I haven't seen one report of someone facing a shortage of disk space because of this. And in my own experience, the available space on my startup volume has largely held steady since I moved to Lion last September. Basically, Lion-compatible applications offer some changes, but they don't require the user to do more things, like user-initiated saving or monitoring how much space common files are using.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob5545
What happened to Save as where I could could rename the file and choose the location.
With Save a Version where are the copies of the File Versions stored on the iMac.

In Lion, files are automatically saved every 5 minutes (or something). There's probably a way of adjusting the interval.
Each auto-save saves a VERSION, like a Time Machine instance of each file.
Save a Version means to manually tell the computer to... save a version of the file, outside of the normal time interval.
You can go back to any version in the save history, like in Time Machine. Like in TM, I suspect that the versioning only saves the changes to your files, rather than a copy each time. I wouldn't worry about the file space. The delta is tiny, compared to hard drive sizes.
I think the version data is hidden from the user, so Save A Version should not "place files in the Pictures folder".

If you want to Save As ... something else, then you have to Duplicate the file, and then Save it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob5545
I understand that Lion is making decisions for the user but I like prefer to control my file system on the Mac.

My advice is to learn the new way and enjoy, rather than fight it. This is how things are going to be.

There is loads of stuff that your computer does for you. You don't have to manually load every process, or save every log file and preference. Computers are about doing stuff for you, so that you can do the things that matter to you.
Making content is why we have computers -- managing file systems is a bi-product of that.

I've said it before: there will come a time when people will say "Remember when we had to save files by hand?"
This is a radical change, but it's a new arbitrary system in the place of an old arbitrary system.

It's also worth mentioning that some apps, like Word, have had an auto-save built-in for years. And without the option to go back!

Last edited by benwiggy; 04-26-2012 at 12:23 PM.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
ganbustein
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
Each auto-save saves a VERSION, like a Time Machine instance of each file.
Save a Version means to manually tell the computer to... save a version of the file, outside of the normal time interval.

One difference between an auto-saved version and one you save with "Save a Version" is the version's longevity.

Versions that are saved automatically are kept for an hour; one of them is saved from every hour for the last 24 hours (assuming there are changes to be saved, of course), one is saved from every day for the last month, and one from each week forever. Although this sounds a lot like Time Machine's rules, it isn't Time Machine; Apple just decided it's a pretty good formula, and used it for Versions too.

That's the documented theory, anyway. In practice, it appears that they save more versions than they need to; I have one file with hourly auto-saved versions over several months. (The document was created by an AppleScript that I left running in the background, updating the file every 15 minutes and saving a version every 500 minutes. I had a hunch I might want to come back some day and look at such a document.)

Versions that you save manually, using Save a Version, are always kept forever. ("Forever" means "as long as you keep the document itself". Deleting a document deletes all of its versions.)

Either way, what's being saved is the delta between versions, so in most cases it's fine to keep many many versions around without concern for disk space.

The document itself would normally be backed up by Time Machine as well, so even if a version has been deleted from the Versions history, it may still be available from Time Machine. When you look at prior versions, using "Revert Document...", both sources are automatically consulted. If you're curious, you can look at the color coding on the timeline at the right edge of the window: purple versions are coming from TM; white versions are coming from Versions. But that's just FYI; they both work the same.
ganbustein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
chabig
Hall of Famer

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4753?v...S&locale=en_US
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: