Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
davedavedave
Triple-A Player

partioning hard drive taking AGES!

partitioning hard drive taking AGES!

Hi there

I am in the middle of what is, for me, a complicated process. At the moment I am trying to add a second partition onto the 100GB HD of my ageing macbookpro. Currently though Disk Utility has been sitting there, with the status bar barely moving - I think it is just about moving, and saying "shrinking disk" for a good hour or more.

Has the process failed? Should I just be more patient?

FYI the background to this is that my airport connection has failed (I usually get about 20min of connection each day before it wont connect anymore - there has been a lot of discussion of how to fix this online but none of the solutions worked for me). Eventually I phoned apple who suggested that I make a partition, install 10.4 (the OS that came with my old MBP) and see airport works there. Then we would know that something went wrong when I jumped to 10.6 (currently on 10.6.8 - the problems stated at 10.6.4 ish).

In order to make the partition I first had to repair the disk, which took about ten minutes.

Do you think I should quit this process and try again or would that risk damaging the drive.

NB this is all on my one main HD of the MBP. I am currently doing this process while running from the same HD.

thanks kindly,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-25 at 04.57.35.png
Views:	63
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	4513  

Last edited by davedavedave; 04-24-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling
davedavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedavedave
I am currently doing this process while running from the same HD.

While that may be possible, I certainly wouldn't advise it. Boot from an installer disk, repair/verify the drive and partition from there.

However, I would be tempted to buy a 8 or 16GB flash drive and put Tiger on that. If you're just doing it for testing purposes.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
davedavedave
Triple-A Player

Thanks for your advice.

Firstly I should clarify that the reason Apple told me to try installing 10.4 on a partition is firstly to see if the airport works there. If it does then I am to upgrade to 10.6 there. This is to see if it behaves differently from the current system (in the current setup I did a complete wipe and reformat etc when I jumped to 10.6, rather than the upgrade - apple thought some of the native drivers for my computer may have been replaced by generics that are not working for me).

I don't know much about running the OS off a separate drive - would I then be able to upgrade it in this way to 10.6?

I left the computer on overnight partitioning and eventually this morning I got an error message saying that it failed and that I need to try making the new partition smaller (I currently set it to 20gb and have 62gb free of my 100gb hd).

Any advice appreciated.

dave
Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
benwiggy
League Commissioner

That sounds like really odd advice.
AFAIK, there is no "Upgrade" from 10.4 to 10.6. Snow Leopard is a new OS install. It doesn't modify Tiger -- it completely replaces it. The idea that some "bespoke" drivers might get left over from Tiger on a 10.6 install sounds really odd.

Regardless, so if this test on a new partition works, will you:
1. Move everything onto the new partition that works?
2. Reinstall Tiger, then Snow Leopard, onto your current system and delete the test partition?

Either way, as you only have 100GB hard drive (which is probably getting a bit old in any case), I would suggest using an external drive for this text.

Presumably you have an external drive for your Time Machine backup? Perhaps you could create a partition there?
If you don't have a backup, I would very careful before mucking about with the partition of the drive that holds the only copies of my data.

What I would suggest is:
1. Have you tested the problem in a new user account? If a new user account works fine, then you know that the problem has nothing to do with your OS installation, but it is something in your user account, like a preference or cache. So you can start removing prefs, and seeing if that helps. If not, replace them.

2. Reinstall Snow Leopard and run all the updates. The OS should "just work" on any supported Mac, regardless of what its past OS history is.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
davedavedave
Triple-A Player

thanks for your advice and I agree that it did sound like strange advice to me, but it was a level 2 (or higher) technician from apple's phone line who gave it to me so I trusted it.

So far, following earlier advice on this thread, I have managed to run 10.4 from an external drive and the airport did not work there either. So I suppose that that makes all this testing irrelevant - that was a different account, drive and OS so I suppose that after all, it must be a hardware issue. Just surprising since online it looked like many people had the same issue with the same piece of hardware, but given the machine is 5 years old I suppose it has just failed.

Just frustrating since replacing it probably costs the same as the machine's actual value but I can't at the moment afford a replacement machine!

let me know if anyone has further thoughts, otherwise I'll just try to get the hardware replaced.

thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
benwiggy
League Commissioner

You may be able to get a USB wireless dongle, rather than getting a replacement internal part for your MBP.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
davedavedave
Triple-A Player

thanks for that advice - i previously tried a usb wifi dongle I borrowed from a friend and the speed was really poor - is that always the case, or was I just using a poor quality one?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
benwiggy
League Commissioner

I haven't actually used one, so don't know.

However, if it is rated as 802.11n, then it should be as fast as the one in your Mac (assuming USB is not a bottleneck).
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
davedavedave
Triple-A Player

thanks - just ordered one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: