Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
acme
MVP

CCC User Backup: Sez 1GB copied; nothing in the destination

trying to back up my User on a Mac Book Pro. Using CCC, destination: a folder on an external USB Drive.

I set it up, select my source: MBPro, User, un-check things I don't want copied, like Documents, pick my destination and hit Clone.

Takes about a minute, CCC says done, but there's basically nothing in the destination folder!...Including all that user stuff like Library!

Library is among those things checked.

when I view list, calculate all sizes, it confirms virtually nothing in side...zero bytes, 47bytes..15kb..6kb..nothing that adds up to the 1.05GB claimed to have been backed up! If I view Get Info, it shows 1.05GB..

Am I crazy, or should I *see* stuff amounting to 1.05GB?

same result if destination folder on MPB into a folder in Shared.

Any suggestions?

thank you!

a

Last edited by acme; 04-23-2012 at 08:51 PM.
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
anthlover
Hall of Famer

At the risk of asking a silly question, why not just clone the drive in total and turn off the "do not delete items not on the source" so that back up stays the same size as your source.

One of the pleasures of using CCC and Super is to be able to make a perfect bootable clone of your system. You should have multiple full back ups of all your things on separate physical disks and ideally also off site to something like crashplan.

Under normal circumstances the User Folder should include all your stuff including your documents.

Lastly again at the risk of making a bad suggestion, you might want to also post in CCC forum. They/we may need more info. Version of CCC. Version of Mac OSX, etc. They might ask you too check the logs from CCC, see if there are any error messages.

I know I have done something similar to what your suggesting, forgot now whether I used CCC or Super since I use both at different points. In my case I wanted a clone of my system on another of my computer but I wanted to exclude my giant pictures folder as I did not have space for it on one my systems. Worked fine.

Last edited by anthlover; 04-24-2012 at 10:55 PM.
anthlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
acme
MVP

Guess I could do that, esp. on this MBPro. I'm in habit keeping documents on non-boot drives on my desktop. different scenario on this machine..

tho on your other point, how wise to keep making bootable clones of an ever-aging system?

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
anthlover
Hall of Famer

The reason to make the clones is to be able to restore system to exactly the way it was including all your apps and documents. What one cares losing is unique to each person. Having multiple copies is good. Some also like to have a revision history beyond off site. Crashplan is great for both off site and a revision history. Unlimited storage for one computer for around $50 a year and for all your computers up to 10 for around $110 dollars a year if I remember correctly. They even let you back up mapped or mounted drives on the single Computer plan. Say you only want to pay for one computer and you want to back up some or all of another you can specify folders from another machine, that you have mounted on the machine being backed up.

I almost forgot Crashplan the application is also free and works computer to computer too. Probably also Computer to Drive. Have not tried that. I only use it for off site storage and for a revision history which it does great with.

To the point I think you might be alluding to of backing up to often, garbage in garbage out. That goes back to multiple storage sets and how frequently your data changes that you care about.

Last edited by anthlover; 04-24-2012 at 11:08 PM.
anthlover is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: