Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Brian Schott
Triple-A Player

make a drive invisible

I am trying to migrate files from an old G4 to a mini using a FireWire cable. The problem is that my old G4 has both an original disk drive that is no longer used used and another internal disk drive which really has the files I need on it.

Migration assistant on the mini has special instructions for migrating from a G4. The G4 must be started in target disk mode which amounts to holding down T key during a start up. Then migration assistant is supposed to recognize all of the disks on the G4. But migration assistant is only recognizing the original disk drive and not the disk drive that is the startup drive on the G4 which has all of my files on it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

In addition to restarting the G4 in the way I mentioned above, I have tried to use the system preferences start up to designate the new drive as the target disk for a restart but that doesn't work either.

So, I am looking for hints to make the original drive invisible.

Thank you.

Brian in Atlanta
Brian Schott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

If you have the optical drive removed, with a second hard drive in its place - and now that second hard drive is your primary drive - then swap that hard drive into the normal hard drive position for your migration.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
cpragman
All Star

Pull the power cord off the old hard drive temporarily.
Or, boot the G4 normally, and use the Ethernet option of migration assistant.
cpragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Brian Schott
Triple-A Player

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I did not exactly remove the hard drive; I removed the connection on the connector, which should be eqivalent, shouldn't it? I have also played with the jumper switch on the drive's port. Neither thing changed anything. The new hard drive is still invisible to the migration assistant.

I also made an appointment with the Apple genius. He told me that there was some problem with the new hard drive: that it was not being seen on migration assistant. He recommended that I purchase a drive port for $20 and plug the hard drive directly into the computer. I found no adequate hard drive port for $20. My local repair shop offered to put my drive into an external shell for $50. I thought that was too much so…

now I am just using the public directory to connect between the two computers.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

There are external adapters like this one: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...ogy/U3NVSPATA/
Old 05-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
Brian Schott
Triple-A Player

Drive Jumper switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
There are external adapters like this one: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...ogy/U3NVSPATA/

I purchased one of these universal adapters and I'm having trouble getting it to work. The disk image does not show up in finder. I suppose the problem could be the jumper switch settings. But I don't think I understand the code on how to set jumpers so I have included the image to get some help setting the jumper switch. The adapter instructions say the drive should be set up as a master.

Thanx,

Brian in Atlanta
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_800x600.shkl.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	4516  

Last edited by Brian Schott; 05-05-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: image is not showing
Old 05-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Your picture shows the correct position for the jumper in the diagram.
It's the one labeled "DS (Master)"
So, the first set of pins should be the only one with a jumper plug. Remove any others that you might have on that hard drive. If there are NO jumpers on the drive now, borrow one from your other hard drive (you did say that you have two hard drives in the G4?)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Brian Schott
Triple-A Player

Jumpers for joy

That did it. I needed the jumper in the first (and third) position. With a jumper only in the first position I got some activity on the adapter which I had not gotten before but putting one on the third got me connected.

Thanks, very much,

Brian in Atlanta

Tags
migration assistant, target disk mode, unmounting disk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: