Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
ricede
All Star

Unhappy External Trackpad unresponsive on restart

I was given an exterior trackpad recently, which is wonderful to use with my MBPro. ( i used an apple mouse before ).
The only problem is, that after a restart or log out, the trackpad takes 7 or 8 secs to be recognised & become live. I never had this problem with the mouse - it connected instantly.

I have tried removing the trackpad in bluetooth system prefs and then set it up again. This hasn't solved the problem.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
ricede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

What make and model?
Does it have its own drivers/software? Is it up to date?

Any messages in the system logs? (Use the Console app in Utilities.)

AS A TEST, create a brand new user account. Does the problem occur there?
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
ricede
All Star

The magic trackpad is the apple model. The software for it is uptodate. I couldn't see any relevant messages in console. I created a new user a/c & the same problem.

The trackpad on the mac itself is responsive immediately on restart - its the magic trackpad that has this delay.
As it is bluetooth - would it be advisable to trash all bluetooth prefs ? I haven't done this so far as i have a couple of phones & a mouse that are paired with the mac & i didn't want to have to re-pair them, unless its strictly necessary.

It is only the magic trackpad that is connected through bluetooth at startup. Neither the mouse nor the phones are connected at startup - i connect them when necessary from the bluetooth icon in the menubar ( so its not like bluetooth is overloaded at the restart of the MBP.

If its relevant the MBPro is an early 2011 model 2.2 ghz quad core.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Well, I have the Apple Magic Trackpad, and I haven't noticed any delay at startup.

Do you mean that after everything has loaded and the computer is otherwise "ready for action", you have to wait for 7 seconds until you can move the pointer?

1. Do you have any other third-party software running at startup, that might possible interfere with user interface controls?

2. You might want to rule out other Bluetooth devices causing the delay. Check the new test account to see if the other devices are known and listed there. It may be that the computer looks for those devices, but can't find them, and that causes the delay. (I'm guessing: I have no firm knowledge of how BT goes about its business.)
Perhaps deleting all the BT prefs might be something to try.

3. Whoever gave you this trackpad may have done so for a reason. Can you test it on another machine?
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
ricede
All Star

Thanks for all those pointers benwiggy

I removed all startup items - problem persisted
Deleted BT prefs - problem solved
Re-paired mouse - all fine
Re-paired Sony Ericson phone - problem returned.

I don't often need the phone connected, so shall just pair it when needed & then trash prefs afterwards.

So good to have got rid of that trackpad lag.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: