Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
pfhannan
Major Leaguer

iPhoto folder?

What folder should the iPhoto library be in?
pfhannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

It can be anywhere you'd like. By default it's placed in ~/Pictures. If you move it from wherever iPhoto is expecting to see it, simply launch iPhoto while holding the Option key and a dialog will appear allowing you to navigate to wherever your iPhoto Library is located. You'll only have to do this once and for subsequent launches iPhoto will remember where the library is located.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
pfhannan
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOH
It can be anywhere you'd like. By default it's placed in ~/Pictures. If you move it from wherever iPhoto is expecting to see it, simply launch iPhoto while holding the Option key and a dialog will appear allowing you to navigate to wherever your iPhoto Library is located. You'll only have to do this once and for subsequent launches iPhoto will remember where the library is located.

Thanks, thats where it is now. I inadvertantly deleted my library, and Time machine is no help to recover 15,000 photo's.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

You say that's where the iPhoto Library is located, but I suggest you use the method I described to ensure that's the library that iPhoto is opening.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
pfhannan
Major Leaguer

Quote:
You say that's where the iPhoto Library is located, but I suggest you use the method I described to ensure that's the library that iPhoto is opening.

I did, no other Library exists.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Use Time Machine to restore a backup of the iPhoto Library that you know is not an empty backup (e.g., from yesterday if you know all was good then). You'll be prompted to choose a location for the restored file. Put it somewhere other than where the existing iPhoto Library is located, then launch iPhoto with the Option key down to navigate to the just-restored file.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
pfhannan
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Use Time Machine to restore a backup of the iPhoto Library that you know is not an empty backup (e.g., from yesterday if you know all was good then). You'll be prompted to choose a location for the restored file. Put it somewhere other than where the existing iPhoto Library is located, then launch iPhoto with the Option key down to navigate to the just-restored file.

i did attempt to restore from the Time Machine, it started to download, and seconds later i got a msg that i didn't have permissions, and it quit
Old 04-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Is iPhoto open when you attempt this? Have you tried using Disk Utility to verify your Time Machine disk?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

In the Finder, navigate to
Time Machine Drive -> Backups.backupdb -> your computer name -> date -> drive name -> Users -> your user name -> Pictures

Drag the iPhoto library to your Pictures folder.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
pfhannan
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Is iPhoto open when you attempt this? Have you tried using Disk Utility to verify your Time Machine disk?

No, iPhoto wasn't open, i'll try that. haven't tried Disk Utility either, but will.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
pfhannan
Major Leaguer

With the iPhoto open, it worked, thank you so much.....

Is it possible to do another restore using a more currant date, than i used?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
NaOH
Hall of Famer

You'll have to try and see what happens. You could simply rename the existing iPhoto Library as a temporary means of denoting which is the newest working version you have.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: