Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
acme
MVP

Installing CS5 onto 2-partition drive

I have Lion installed on 2 Macs which have 2 or more partitions on their bootable drive. I'm about to purchase Adobe CS5 and wonder whether I'm better off clearing away the partitions, re-installing Lion fresh, along with CS5...

...or whether there's no functional advantage in doing that..keep the partitions, and install CS5 into the Lion partitions?

If there's no actual advantage, would rather just keep the partitions the way they are.

thanks!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

First of all, I don't know the details, but I know CS6 (or whatever is next) is close. The next Photoshop is in public beta. I haven't noted any of the details about the next Creative Suite, but I figured I should mention that in case you want to wait for that version or try to get 5.5 at discount.

But for your question, I'm not certain what you have to gain by wiping the drives. I assume you're really asking, "Should I wipe my Lion partitions to completely eliminate my current version of CS4, then reinstall Lion and upgrade to the latest CS?" You could do that since Adobe uninstallers never nail everything. Not completely sure you want to, though, since that would mean losing things like application preferences (which CS software updates, oddly, saves but doesn't migrate to the new version; you have to manually do it).

The key, above all else, is to use the Adobe tools for uninstalling, whether or not you then erase your Lion volumes. That ensures your existing serial number gets deactivated. You could then do the wipe and re-install. Me, I'd probably take the more tedious method and use a tool like EasyFind after running the Adobe uninstaller to simply track down every Creative Suite-related file I want removed.

No matter which path you choose, I'd also bet benwiggy will chime in. He's probably our resident CS expert, so I'd hope he does to see if he has anything noteworthy to add.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
acme
MVP

I like the idea of getting a discount..who would offer a discount on that software?

thank you!

a
Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I should probably clarify that. I'm guessing that anyone who sells Creative Suite may offer discounts. But I can't actually remember if that's what happens. Speaking analogously, is Creative Suite discounted like last-generation Macs when the new ones come out, or is it more like how the last generation of Mac OS X went up in price when the new one was released?

Maybe someone else can speak to what's happened in the past or perhaps some web searching will reveal answers. Sorry, I shouldn't have stated that as a fact of how things go.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
acme
MVP

well, no harm floating that idea...there are sites that sell the software at a lower cost (legit sites)...I can't recall ever seeing "closeout" prices on software..

heck..the stuff's so expensive there should be sales when versions upgrade!

a
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Adobe usually has upgrade pricing of some sort. They have an FAQ page for the current offers, though that page indicates upgrades will soon only apply to whatever is the current version. Again, speaking from ignorance, it's possible third-party retailers will have discounted upgrade versions of the software (say, v. 5 or 5.5).
Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
agentx
Hall of Famer

Firsly if you upgrade to CS5.5 from an earlier version now you will get CS6 for "FREE".
If you buy a full version of CS 5.5 now you will also get CS6 fro free.
This offer is running until 6 May i think.
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4329718?tstart=0

CS4 and CS 5/5.5/6 can coexist. But their is a cleaning tool as rightly said the Adobe uninstaller do not always clean it all.
http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

I have no idea of your setup but most people do not need partitions on their primary boot drive unless you want to be able to boot different OS's
e.g.. 10.7 on one and 10.6 on another partition or another OS like Ubuntu/Windows.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Why do you have these partitions?

Partitions only make sense for things such as :
  • Different OS installations
  • Different disk file formats
  • Limiting Time Machine backup size (though obviously, your TM partition shouldn't be on the same disk as the stuff you're backing up!)
  • etc....
Creative Suite doesn't benefit at all from being on a different partition from the system.
Maybe in days gone by, when Photoshop scratch disk was put onto another partition to stop the system volume slowing down. But not these days.

Invariably, creating partitions is like putting a fence in your way. You will want to move it later.

Two other points from this discussion:
Yes, use the Adobe uninstaller to deactivate any existing products.
Most of the "cheap" legit boxes of CS on eBay, etc, are Student editions, and you may need to prove to Adobe that you are a student to get it registered. So watch out for that.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
acme
MVP

Just installed the Trial version, pending getting my key. the installer "knew" that Illustrator CS5 was on the partition, and didn't install it.

Can I assume that I got a conflicts-free install of CS5, or....time will tell..?

thanks!

a
Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
acme
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx
Firsly if you upgrade to CS5.5 from an earlier version now you will get CS6 for "FREE".
If you buy a full version of CS 5.5 now you will also get CS6 fro free.
This offer is running until 6 May i think.
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4329718?tstart=0

in the below, says certain products aren't included in the free upgrade from 5.5 to 6. I'm puzzled by this and not sure what it means, exactly..or why they'd do it..is it an upgrade..or a partial upgrade? thoughts?

a

Offer expires May 6, 2012, at 11:59pm (PDT). VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED, OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. Customers who purchase the most current Adobe® Creative Suite® software version, available through the online Adobe Store or Adobe Call Center, from 12am (PDT) on March 26, 2012, through 11:59pm (PDT) on May 6, 2012, will receive a one-time upgrade to the equivalent Adobe Creative Suite 6 product (download version only) at no additional cost when it ships publicly. Offer does not include Acrobat, Flash Catalyst, Flash Builder, Contribute, and OnLocation. Residents of embargoed countries are not eligible. Upgrade codes and/or software will be delivered electronically to the email address associated with the qualifying purchase. Ten days after the ship of Adobe Creative Suite 6 and no later than May 31, 2012, at 11:59pm (PDT), customers will receive an email with instructions and a unique promotional code to receive the one-time upgrade to the equivalent CS6 product. For select countries, customers will receive information in their Creative Suite 5.5 order confirmation email on how to redeem the one-time upgrade to CS6.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
acme
MVP

Authorized Resellers of Adobe? Any recommendations for good ones..with good prices?

thank you!

a
Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Today (Monday, April 23) marks the official release of CS 6. If you plan to start looking for discounts on a previous version, now would be the time. DealMac would be one place to monitor. I assume Amazon.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
acme
MVP

OK..I see Amazon's offering the full (not educational) version...is Amazon an authorized dealer, such that CS5 bought from amazon would qualify for the free upgrade to CS6?

thanks for the links, NaOH!

a
Old 04-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
OK..I see Amazon's offering the full (not educational) version...is Amazon an authorized dealer, such that CS5 bought from amazon would qualify for the free upgrade to CS6?

I would think Amazon qualifies, but I can't state that with any certainty. Frankly, I'm not certain why it matters from whom a legitimate copy of the software is bought.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
acme
MVP

me, either but adobe states this bump from cs5 to 6 hinges on your having 5 from an authorized adobe dealer..

weird..do they think that companies are stealing adobe ware and re-selling it?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
NaOH
Hall of Famer

My guess, since I'm largely ignorant about all that goes on with software piracy, is that Adobe is taking steps in the legal areas it controls to address areas of piracy risk while also providing itself protections for potential areas of future litigation. No consolation to folks like you and probably of no real benefit to a company like Adobe.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
acme
MVP

OK..well..good to have the amazon lead (thank you) and can't wait to be done with it all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: