Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
GruvDOne
Triple-A Player

Unable to install OSX

Hello all,

I was recently helping a friend with her 2007 MBP when it stopped booting completely through. It would only go as far as the white screen with the Apple logo and spinning bit, where it would freeze.

I was able to mount it in FW Target mode, and get the majority of her info off. I then reformatted it in disk utility (OSX Extended Journaled), and set about doing a nice fresh install.

That's where things went off the rails. I've tried Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion (all of which are supported by her machine). Each time I insert a install disk - either when the ? folder appears, at boot up, evoking the option key, or even the c key - the disk just gets spit back out.

I've reconnected via Target Mode again, double checked that the disk was good and that it had the required GUID partition table, and even formatted it again, yet nothing.

What could it be?

Thanks in advance,
-Will

Mac Pro | 12 x 2.66 GHz | 40GB | Quadro K-5000(Mac) | OSX 10.8.4
GruvDOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
trevor

Hi Will,

Exactly what discs are you using to try to install Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion? Are they gray-colored discs that shipped with another machine, or retail full-install discs?

Have you tried connecting another Mac to the 2007 MBP over FireWire, booting the other Mac in FireWire Target Disk Mode (hold down the T key while booting it until you get a dancing FireWire logo on-screen), and inserting the retail full-install disc into the other Mac? If you have a hardware problem with the DVD drive on the 2007 MBP, you can install it from the DVD drive in the other Mac.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
GruvDOne
Triple-A Player

Hi Trevor,

All three disks are retail (in the case Lion, it was an installer image burn from the App Store download).

Yeah, I suppose I could go the other direction with the target mode, but if the installer doesn't know it's installing onto a laptop, is it still going to put all the laptop specific bits and bobs onto it?

I'll have a go of it tonight.

- Cheers!

Mac Pro | 12 x 2.66 GHz | 40GB | Quadro K-5000(Mac) | OSX 10.8.4
GruvDOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
onceagain
All Star

Why not install OS X on it while it is in target disk mode?

That's my standard install method in short. In detail - I keep a copy of OS X updated and maintained and "clean" on an external HD, and then when I need it on some machine, I just clone it over. Works every time, never had an issue with it.

Optical drive on my machine hasn't worked in I dunno how long, but it's really not an issue.
onceagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
gsahli
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvDOne
Yeah, I suppose I could go the other direction with the target mode, but if the installer doesn't know it's installing onto a laptop, is it still going to put all the laptop specific bits and bobs onto it?

Not sure if I get your question - forgive me if not...
The Mac Installer installs driver files for the Mac model that is actually running - but not for the model that is acting as a dumb external drive (the one in Target mode).
gsahli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
ldrury
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
Why not install OS X on it while it is in target disk mode?

+1 for this - good idea....
I would think you'd be able to install straight from the app store this way.....

15" MacBook Pro 2.66GHz i7
Gone to pasture: 1400c Powerbook, G3 CRT iMac, G4 iBook 800MHz, G4 iBook 1.33GHz, MacBook 2.16GHz
ldrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
onceagain
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli
Not sure if I get your question - forgive me if not...
The Mac Installer installs driver files for the Mac model that is actually running - but not for the model that is acting as a dumb external drive (the one in Target mode).

You can use Mac #1 in target disk mode to install from Mac #2, even if Mac #1 and Mac #2 are different models. I do it all the time. Works fine. You can also install onto an external HD, and then boot different model Macs from that HD.

FWIW, I used such techniques to run Leopard on a G4 Cube, even though the installer wouldn't work if you tried running it on the cube itself. Of course, it ran pretty slowly (:
Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
onceagain
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrury
+1 for this - good idea....
I would think you'd be able to install straight from the app store this way.....

You can download Lion from the app store, extract the installer, and then install it on whatever, independently of the app store. Seems like the better way to go.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
agentx
Hall of Famer

If you are having issues with the DVD drive you can also "clone" or "Restore" the installer to an 8GB Flash drive and boot off that but Installing using Firewire Target Mode will do the job anyway.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
mclbruce
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
You can use Mac #1 in target disk mode to install from Mac #2, even if Mac #1 and Mac #2 are different models. I do it all the time. Works fine. You can also install onto an external HD, and then boot different model Macs from that HD.

FWIW, I used such techniques to run Leopard on a G4 Cube, even though the installer wouldn't work if you tried running it on the cube itself. Of course, it ran pretty slowly (:

That has been my experience in the past. Any HD with retail OS X installed should run just fine on any older Mac. Once in a while there are brand new Macs that won't boot from the current retail installer, but clearly that doesn't apply here. Maybe Apple changed this policy in Lion, but that would surprise me.
mclbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: