Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
gsprague
Major Leaguer

InDesign CS5.5 Generic Postscript PPD

Hi All,

I am running OS X Lion 10.7.3 and using InDesign CS5.5. When I print in InDesign using my PostScript File printer I can choose the Generic PostScript printer PPD. Can anyone tell me where this Generic PostScript Printer file is located on the system? It is not in my /Library/Printer/PPD folder. Is this built into Adobe InDesign or maybe part of Acrobat?

Thank you!
gsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

From a brief search, I can't see it inside the ID app package. But it's more than likely to be a component of InDesign itself.

Adobe forces a Generic PPD on its PostScript file output to ensure that the .ps code is device independent. So they should work fine on any PostScript device.

What do you do with your .ps files after saving them? If they are going to Distiller, then you're advised (by Adobe) to use ID's PDF export in preference to Distiller. Even so, there's little point in sending device-specific .ps to Distiller.

If the .ps file is going off to a device, then why not do it directly? Again, even so, device-independent PostScript should be fine on any device.

One option might be to use a system-wide PostScript print queue, like CUPS-PDF, which you can specify with your own PPD. I've written a backend for CUPS that saves .ps files through a print queue, if you're interested.

Last edited by benwiggy; 04-19-2012 at 09:48 AM.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
gsprague
Major Leaguer

Hi benwiggy,

Thanks for the quick reply! Most of my clients use Export to PDF but a few are still stuck on printing to the built-in PostScript Printer. One of my clients is not seeing the Generic PostScript PPD listed within InDesign.

I tried doing a file system search on my machine but nothing came up. What's the path to the file?

I can't imagine that someone might have deleted it from the package contents of the app!

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsprague
One of my clients is not seeing the Generic PostScript PPD listed within InDesign.

Define "Not seeing".
Do you mean it is not listed as the PPD for printing to PostScript in the print dialog? Is the field blank?
What happens when he tries to save a .ps file?

I don't know where the file might reside -- it may not be immediately obvious, as it could be inside a resource or named unhelpfully.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
gsprague
Major Leaguer

The Generic PostScript PPD is not listed.

Go to File Print
For Printer choose PostScript File
For PPD, the Generic PostScript Printer is not listed there.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
benwiggy
League Commissioner

I haven't used CS5.5, but in every previous version on InDesign, the PPD is greyed out and cannot be changed. So what is listed there -- simply a blank, greyed-out drop-down list, or another PPD?

And what happens when you try to save a .ps file?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
gsprague
Major Leaguer

You can't create one because there is nothing listed there.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Is this something that used to work properly and has now stopped? Did he do anything to modify ID -- or

Well, I'd be tempted to tell him to Export to PDF directly, if the .ps file is going to be distilled.

Otherwise, as per usual: trash all the InDesign prefs in the user account. Failing that, reinstall ID.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsprague
When I print in InDesign using my PostScript File printer I can choose the Generic PostScript printer PPD. Can anyone tell me where this Generic PostScript Printer file is located on the system? It is not in my /Library/Printer/PPD folder. Is this built into Adobe InDesign or maybe part of Acrobat?

According to Adobe documentation, InDesign (v. 5 and 5.5) should be using a PPD installed on a system level, not an application level.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
benwiggy
League Commissioner

NaOH, what you say is true, but that relates to user-defined print queues.

InDesign also has its own app-specific print queue for saving PostScript files to disk. When you select that, the Generic PS PPD is selected and you cannot change it.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying that/correcting me.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: