Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
macuser940
Prospect

Drag & Drop problem - iTunes

This is a problem that happened a year or so ago when I did a software update on my MBP that I'd like to ask if anyone can help.

I went from 10.6.5 to 10.6.7 (with the Mac OS X Update Combined which also updated to Java 10.6 Update 4, iWeb 3.0.3, Safari 5.0.5, Lexmark Printer Software 2.4 and Remote Desktop Client 3.4 all in the same session.)

Following this, I lost the ability to drag and drop iTunes tracks into Roxio Jam 6.0.3 (which I use and prefer over their latest version of Toast.) I can d&d tracks to the desktop or to other folders with no problem but when I drag a one over to Jam, the playlist window will illuminate but the track will no longer drop in.

Conversely, when I use the "Add"/"Choose An Object" feature in Jam, the "Media" area no longer populates with my iTunes library when highlighting "Music" as it did previously. Strangely, by using the same "Add/Choose" feature I can still access iTunes under "Places" or by drilling in through "Devices" but this presents the library as folders and track selection is tedious whereas "Music" allows very fast access to iTunes, complete with search window.

Does anyone know what could have happened as a result of this software update and is there a fix so I can get drag and drop back? I'm thinking that there's some file or preference that needs to be re-created.

Thanks!
macuser940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

I don't have the same software as you're addressing (and I'm under Lion), but I will note that I sometimes have issues whereby I can't drag files from the Finder into iTunes. If I cancel the drag and drop then re-try, it usually works. And I never drag anything from iTunes to something else, so I can't speak to issues in that direction.

What I'm going to suggest here is a little difficult to explain clearly. It's just meant as an alternative way of approaching what you want to do. Bear with me, and ask if any part of this isn't clear. You want to drag and drop files from iTunes over to Roxio Jam. Have them both open. Now prepare to use both hands, one with the mouse/trackpad, the other with the keyboard.
  1. Go to iTunes and select however many tracks you want.
  2. Start dragging them so you see the visual indication of the drag taking place. Continue to hold the mouse/trackpad button down but stop dragging.
  3. Hold the Command key and tap Tab once so the on-screen application switcher appears (let's call that the HUD). Don't let go of the Command key.
  4. With the HUD showing, complete the drag of files by dragging them so your cursor is over the Roxio Jam icon in the HUD. The Jam icon should show a highlight when your cursor is properly over it.
  5. Release the mouse/trackpad button. Jam should open and the files (hopefully) will copy there, too. You can release the Command key once Jam comes to the front.
I know that sounds convoluted. I know your usual method should simply work. But this is pretty easy once you do it a couple of times, and it may at least provide a means of doing what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser940
Conversely, when I use the "Add"/"Choose An Object" feature in Jam, the "Media" area no longer populates with my iTunes library when highlighting "Music" as it did previously. Strangely, by using the same "Add/Choose" feature I can still access iTunes under "Places" or by drilling in through "Devices" but this presents the library as folders and track selection is tedious whereas "Music" allows very fast access to iTunes, complete with search window.

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for this part.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
macuser940
Prospect

Thanks for this info - never used this method for dragging before but I tried it a few times, finally getting the hang of it but it isn't working either.

As for the paragraph where I refer to using the "Add"/"Choose An Object" feature in Jam, I posted that info. so you could understand that this still works, it's just the drag and drop part no longer does.

Any other suggestions from anyone is appreciated.
macuser940 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: