Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Alexz
Prospect

brightness control not working

I have a late 2011 mac book pro. I installed windows 7 via bootcamp. Since i upgraded the video card driver under Windows, the screen brightness cannot be changed. I logged in Mac OS X, but still cannot change it. How do I solve this issue?
Alexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
trevor

OS X does not use the Windows video 'card' driver, and changes made to the Bootcamp Windows partition have no effect at all on what happens when you are booted to OS X.

So, it sounds like your actual issue is simply that you can't change the brightness in OS X. Please tell us more about it. Are you trying to change the brightness only with the keyboard brightness controls (F1 and F2), or have you also tried System Preferences > Displays > Display tab > moving the brightness slide control?

If you're only having problems with the keyboard brightness controls (F1 and F2), then what do you have set in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard tab > "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"? Is that checked or unchecked? Do other keyboard function key shortcuts work, like F3 for Expose'?

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
Alexz
Prospect

Thank you. I tried to use F1 and F2 without success. The option "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" is unchecked. F3 works well.

I removed windows partition and the brightness control has come back. I may rebuild the windows 7 with bootcamp. But now I think it might be better to run windows games on a PC.
Alexz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: