Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
bunky6767
Prospect

Unhappy OS X 10.5.4 Finder Relaunches Continuously

After every start up, and as long as I am logged in under my primary user ID, the finder continuously relaunches. This does not occur when I log in under my ADMIN user ID. Any suggestions for resolution would be greatly appreciated. The error message below is displayed, and when I try to submit to Apple, it is "Unable to send." Also see attached JPEG error message and .doc text error message. I have zapped PRAM and repaired disk permissions. I use this computer at my job site. This is critical to my work-related tasks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finder OS X 10-5-4 Error Message 20120411.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	4503  
Attached Files
File Type: doc OS X 1054 Finder Relaunch Error.doc (94.0 KB, 40 views)
bunky6767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Step 1: Use the Apple menu to select Software Update. Repeat until no updates are listed as available. The latest version of 10.5 is 10.5.8.

Step 2: In the affected user account, open ~/Library/Preferences and move com.apple.finder.plist to the Desktop or to the Trash. Follow that with either a logout or a restart.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
bunky6767
Prospect

Thanks. I work part-time, and I'm not scheduled to be in the office until April 16. After I try your suggestions, I'll let you know of the outcome. I had considered performing Step 1. And I had thought Step 2. Might also be involved. However, have not had time to attempt them, and I also wanted some expert confirmation prior to proceeding.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
bunky6767
Prospect

I trashed the com.apple.finder.plist file, and that solved my problem. I will update the OS this afternoon. Thanks very much.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
NaOH
Hall of Famer

For whatever reason, your Finder preferences became corrupted. It happens. The steps you took replaced the corrupted file and resolved your issue. One potential side effect is that some of your Finder settings have been reset to their defaults. In the Finder, you may want to use the Finder menu to select Preferences and configure the available options to whatever you prefer.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: