Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
acme
MVP

13" MBPro: benefit from doubling RAM?

I have a 2010 13" Mac Book Pro with its stock 4GB of RAM. I'm wondering what benefits there are to doubling that amount?

clearly, handling more/larger files, more running apps, but would the machine get a performance boost from having more "elbow room?"

Looking at my free vs used totals, my free RAM I don't believe ever dips below 1700 MB or so...

thank you for any information about this!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
jsalmi
Major Leaguer

Are you running out of memory while using the system? If not, then more ram won't help. If you are paging/swapping, then yes - more will help.
jsalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
acme
MVP

Don't believe I've ever run out of memory in the sense of the machine throwing out a warning.

using menu meters, I have it set to display "Paging" but no clue what number indicates more ram needed..

thanks!
Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
... I have [Menu Meters] set to display "Paging" but no clue what number indicates more ram needed..

DeltaMac has a good explanation of page-outs in a previous thread, and provided some helpful links.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Have that made machine. Made that upgrade. Not much difference for regular use. The real question is what applications do you use. Photoshop? Aperture?, etc. If you did timing tests before and after those applications would benefit.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
acme
MVP

mostly Illustrator, photoshop, some InDesign, iMovie and a little 3D...
Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
anthlover
Hall of Famer

For that it would be worth it

For those uses you would notice a difference. Going rate is around $50 for an 8GB kit. I linked to datamem.com, though there are plenty of places to but from. Newer machines take 16gb which would be a bigger difference.

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_ap...2_Duo_1606.asp
Old 04-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
acme
MVP

How do they compare in terms of reputability, to OWC?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
anthlover
Hall of Famer

I use both. But for memory I Have used datamem for memory for about 15 years and they have always been amazing service wise. Back in the ancient days of I had an old mac laptop that ended up having a bad daughter card/cpu card. Thought it was the memory and they diligently swapped the ram for free many times until I realized what was really wrong.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: