Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
TFIFF
Prospect

A few general questions from a new user...

Hi, I'm brand new to OS X, and so far I'm loving it. I have basically everything pegged down just how I want it, and I'm already used to all the different keyboard shortcuts. I have a few nitpicky things that I'd like to rectify though, I know they are weird but I guess I am just one of those people.

#1 - My old AIM chat font isn't available in OS X....

So I'm using Adium for AIM chatting, and it's a wonderful program. I've used Fixedsys as my font for AIM chats since I was 12 years old, and a lot of people on my buddy list were expressing displeasure at not seeing it anymore. There is a great clone of Fixedsys for OS X called Fixedsys Excelsior, but setting that as my font in Adium obviously doesn't make Fixedsys show up in the IM box of my buddies. I'm guessing if I was able to rename this font to Fixedsys that the AIM servers might pick it up and display it properly to the people I'm messaging? I also just tried installing my old Fixedsys.ttf, but OS X freaked out to the point of saying "if you install this font it may cause the computer to crash" or something like that. What the heck!

#2 - I want to change the name of my "home folder"

My home folder currently says "Danny" for some reason (not my name). I don't know why it won't just let you right click on the folder to rename it, so I tried following some steps involving the root user and stuff like that. Is there any way to just change the name of this folder without having to delete my current admin account?

I had a #3 issue, but I can't remember it at the moment because I'm having too much fun clicking around in OS X more. Anyway, your help would be greatly appreciated!
TFIFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFIFF
I also just tried installing my old Fixedsys.ttf, but OS X freaked out to the point of saying "if you install this font it may cause the computer to crash" or something like that. What the heck!

Please give us the exact text of the message. Also, please let us know what technique you used to install this font. If installed properly, you can use a font moved from Windows. I suspect either you installed the font into the /System/Library/Fonts directory, which is reserved for fonts that come with the operating system, or you are misinterpreting a very mundane message as a "freak out".

Quote:
My home folder currently says "Danny" for some reason (not my name).

Did you get this computer used and not reinstall the operating system? If you did, you have no idea what junk was installed by Danny or any previous owner. When buying a used computer, always clean install the OS, no matter what OS that is.

Of course, one pleasant side effect of reinstalling the OS is that you are asked for your name, and the Home folder is named properly.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
TFIFF
Prospect

You were right about the font, I was just installing it wrong. Looks like it works fine now, and everyone on my buddy list sees good ol' Fixedsys.

This was a clean install, but I did have the seller set it up for me before I picked it up due to some programs I wanted on it. It's an iMac with a SSD installed, so it needed some special fan management software that I wanted him to configure. Now I'm a bit paranoid, is there any way to check if there is any junk from the previous owner? My applications folder looks pretty mundane...

Is there any other way to rename the home folder? And just in case I'm using names wrong, by home folder I mean this:

(Boy do I really love Ctrl Shift 4 to take screenshots...)
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
chabig
Hall of Famer

As has been said, the name of your home folder is the name of your account. It's established when the account is created and normally should not be changed. If you got this machine used, you should create a new account for yourself and delete the old account (better still, reinstall the OS from scratch).

If you are willing to take a risk, open System Preferences > Users and Groups. In the left column you'll see your account. Right click on that and choose Advanced Options. In the advanced options pane you can change the account name which will also change the name of your home folder. There is some risk that things might not work afterward so it would be wise to have a back up of your system unless you are willing to rebuild it from scratch (which is the best idea).
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
TFIFF
Prospect

That's really kind of weak, why would the OS be so protective about changing the name of a folder?

I don't have the install discs, so I dunno how to reinstall lion (and would that delete all my files/apps?)

Maybe I'll just leave it as Danny as some sort of bizarre inside joke
Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Lion doesn't have (and doesn't need) install disks to just reinstall the system.
You can easily boot to the Lion recovery partition, and reinstall Lion, including erasing the hard drive partition, if you like.
Just restart while holding Command-R, and you'll get to a menu screen, allowing you to reinstall Lion, or test the hard drive using Disk Utility. And - while in Disk Utility, you can choose to erase the hard drive, if you want.
Yes, that process will delete everything that you don't have backed up.

OS X is not just protecting a particular folder - just making it a challenge to change the information regarding an installed user account. That information is tracked in various internal areas of the system. If you don't change that account name correctly, your OS X system will simply recreate the user - using the old name - the next time you restart. That, in turn, will likely confuse you, as it will seem that your own files and apps are not accessible, and it's tricky to get back to normal after that.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
That's really kind of weak, why would the OS be so protective about changing the name of a folder?

The issue here is that a user folder is not just any folder. In a sense, user folders provide the OS guidance as to what permissions the files within have and that, in turn, provides one layer of security.

Quote:
I don't have the install discs, so I dunno how to reinstall lion (and would that delete all my files/apps?)

Re-installing the OS does not touch your files or applications. As the name implies, it just does a fresh installation of the operating system. Once that is done, you know you have a clean version of Mac OS, and you could then create a new user account into which you could copy your existing files.

The fact that you don't have a copy of Lion discs makes sense since Lion was a downloadable installation and never released on discs. The main Hints site had an article about how to re-download Lion even after it has been installed.

Last edited by NaOH; 04-14-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: As is often the case, I reiterate something DeltaMac has posted because DeltaMac is faster than I am.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
TFIFF
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOH
Re-installing the OS does not touch your files or applications. As the name implies, it just does a fresh installation of the operating system. Once that is done, you know you have a clean version of Mac OS, and you could then create a new user account into which you could copy your existing files.

Oh that seems easy enough, so if it keeps all my files and apps it would just be a matter of personalizing all the settings again? I guess I should do that...
Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

And - judging by what else is happening, I suspect that if "Danny" set up your user account, then "Danny" probably used an unknown AppleID for the Lion install, too.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: