Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
claus1953
Prospect

Run 2 os versions on my mac

Since a few months i have replaced my old mini with a newer machine which came with Lion. On the mini i had lately Tiger. I was using ivisit presenter to video chat with my family back in Italy and to share slideshows and such things during the chats with multiple family members. With my new mac ivisit does not work anymore and they have not released a newer version which can run under Lion. I installed bootcamp with Windows only to run ivisit but it does not work well and the program freezes often during the conference calls or becomes unresponsive and we have to reconnect all again and again. Is there a way to install Tiger on the bootcamp partition (maybe reformatting it before) to run this program? If yes how to do it? I do not want to loose all i have on my mac when doing this. I am quite a noob and need help.
Thanks.
claus1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

You won't be able to install Tiger on that Mac, with or without Boot Camp. If your other family members are also using Macs with at least 10.5, you all have iChat which enables video chats, instant messaging, and direct file sharing. Mac or otherwise, Skype is an option, too.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
claus1953
Prospect

Thanks for your answer, i will have to make all switch to Skype as they have Windows machines, so no iChat. I only hope Skype has also multi chat capabilities and similar file sharing options.
claus1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

I don't use Skype, but I would guess it has multi-chat capabilities. Seems hard to imagine it wouldn't since so many people use it, including businesses. Likewise, I don't know what its file-sharing features are, but if necessary there are plenty of other options you could use in conjunction with Skype. For files of any type, you could use Dropbox, thus enabling you to provide links to specific files for other folks, or they could also use Dropbox and you could create a shared folder that everyone can access. If you're only sharing photos, you may want to sign up for one of the many photo-sharing sites. The bottom line is that there are lots of options, maybe not as tidy as you had things with iVisit, but nothing too complex.

Add-On Note About Dropbox: In the event that you choose to use that service, note that they give you 2 GB of storage space. That's a good amount for most. But here's a perk: Each account can provide a referral link for others to sign up, and that can increase how much space you're allotted, 500 MB for each person who uses your referral link. So you could sign up, get 2 GB, then get three others to sign up, in which case you'd now have 3.5 GB of space.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: