Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > Working with OS X > OS Xperiences

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
AHunter3
Hall of Famer

End of a personal era

I'm typing this on my first-ever Intel-powered computer.

Yeesh. I've got a PC. It's a Mac but it really is a PC.

I don't buy computers very often (I don't have to, I buy Macs! ). The last three before this one were PowerPC machines: my 7100, my "WallStreet" PowerBook G3, and my last-of-its-kind G4 PowerBook 17. Before that, I had a 68K Mac, an SE.

I don't have the SE any more, but I have a Timbuktu window open to the WallStreet (current booted to MacOS 9.0.4) and a Remote Access window to the G4 (running 10.4.11). I'm actually copying files off both.

Shoehorned 10.6.8 onto this rig although it arrived with 10.7; I'll need PowerPC support for quite a while. (I have, however, gotten to the point that I hardly ever find a non-nostalgic need to run 68K apps).

Slowly pushing it into the shape I want it in. (It's MY Mac. I get to have it behave the way *I* want it to behave).
AHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
SirDice
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
I'll need PowerPC support for quite a while. (I have, however, gotten to the point that I hardly ever find a non-nostalgic need to run 68K apps).

PowerPC and 680x0 are different processor architectures (PowerPC is RISC, 680x0 is CISC).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68000
SirDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
AHunter3
Hall of Famer

Yes. What part of my statement as quoted gave you the impression that I thought otherwise?
AHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
vanakaru
All Star

PC is a personal computer.
After encountering G5 problems I find move to Intel a blessing.
For me mac is a mac even if it runs on hachintoch. But nothing can beat the aesthetics of Apple that I have seen so far.
vanakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
SirDice
MVP

Quote:
Yes. What part of my statement as quoted gave you the impression that I thought otherwise?

Needing PowerPC support to run 68k applications.
SirDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

"PowerPC Support" in this context clearly implies OS9, which included an emulator for 68000 based applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_68K_emulator.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
benwiggy
League Commissioner

To be honest, I wouldn't care if my Mac was powered by weasels with string, as long it all worked, and worked fast and well.

I had a Mac IIsi, then a couple of beige PowerMacs, then a G3 iBook, then a 2006 Intel iMac, and a 2009 MacBook. I've switched from 68000 to PPC to Intel, upgraded from System 6 through 7, 8, 9, 10.2, to 10.7.

Apple does smooth the transition, but it also makes it clear that things like Classic, Rosetta etc are a temporary fix until you upgrade everything. Even though Apple moved to Intel six or seven years ago, some companies still didn't recompile their code for Intel until Lion left them no choice. (FontLab, Intuit.)

I like the new features in Lion than many people are trying to turn off, like Resume and Auto-Save, though I'm a little apprehensive of "the direction". However, although I came to Apple because I liked how it worked, I don't think I could move elsewhere, even if it became slightly frustrating and obstructive. And I don't believe that it would, in terms of getting stuff done.

As much as I appreciate good User Interface methods and want to achieve simple ways of doing things, even where this is not how Apple have done it this time round, I also believe that you should use the tool as it's meant to be used, and not try to make it work in a way that is contrary to that.

Witness the common threads from Windows users: "I want <return> to open files in the Finder!" Really, they're just unwilling to learn a slightly different key press in order to get the job done. The job still gets done; the effort expended immeasurably small. I don't care what button I have to press, as long as there's a button to press that get's it done. Yes, I've configured my MAcs to have particular setups, but if Apple insisted that I do something a particular way instead, then I'm not too fussed.

It's very easy to get stuck on what is essentially trivia, and not notice the bigger picture. We've got iPads!!!! Video phones with internet!! The computing power of the MacPro is ridiculous to that of ten years ago, yet it's still "not good enough" to do the jobs that people were doing then with that hardware.
We're only a flying car away from being in the future!

(Not having a go, just rambling.)

Last edited by benwiggy; 03-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

Sorry, but for me, Save As...

OK, won't open that old wound again.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
onceagain
All Star

Quote:
(It's MY Mac. I get to have it behave the way *I* want it to behave).

Well, you can try. Apple has a lot of resources - it is hard to defeat its desire to tell you how you want it to behave. Good luck.
onceagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
truckster
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
Witness the common threads from Windows users: "I want <return> to open files in the Finder!" Really, they're just unwilling to learn a slightly different key press in order to get the job done. The job still gets done; the effort expended immeasurably small. I don't care what button I have to press, as long as there's a button to press that get's it done. Yes, I've configured my MAcs to have particular setups, but if Apple insisted that I do something a particular way instead, then I'm not too fussed.

As a relatively new Mac owner (bought mine last November) I was totally frustrated by the way I was trying to make my Mac work using the Windoz way for about a month. When I finally realized Apple does just about everything better and to drop thinking like a Windoz user and just go with the flow (used these forums and Help a lot) my Mac experience just blossomed.

I also like auto save. Even though I was one who constantly hit 'save', I like not having to worry about any item I'm working on as it IS getting saved automatically.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: