Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
acme
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,068
Syncing Address book in Lion?

I use the word "sync" in a loose way; I'm not interested in this cloud business. I have 2 computers running Lion. I want to have the Address book (data, settings, modified fields, etc) to also be on the other Mac.

I try the sneakernet method and am told that things are in use, can't be copied over, whatever. I can get the VCard to go over, but I still don't have notes, and custom fields I created on the first Mac.

Others have said that Apple really wants us to use iCloud; seems the only way to do what I'm trying to do.

before I have to resort to yet another method for contact management, can somebody say whether there IS a way to do what I want without the cloud and if so what that way is?

thank you!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,505
Dropbox
Plaxo
Fruux
etc.
Address Book in Lion also has an easy setup to share (synchronize) contacts through Google, or Yahoo
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
acme
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,068
Is there any method that does not involve the internet? Something that can be done mac to mac without using clouds or cloud-like services?

thanks!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,505
But, what you are asking is, by its nature, a cloud-like service, eh?
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
acme
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
But, what you are asking is, by its nature, a cloud-like service, eh?

Actually, I think not.

the cloud is but one method of transferring data.

but I get the idea that Apple and others want us all to migrate toward clouds to handle chores which were done before there were clouds, or widespread availability of them.

Last edited by acme; 04-13-2012 at 12:10 PM.
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
fracai
MVP
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,089
I've thought about such a service that would tap into all the Apple provided APIs for syncing data (contacts, calendars, bookmarks, etc.), but just write the data to flat files. It'd then be up to the user to transfer these files to their other clients where the same software would again sync the data using Apple's APIs.

The user would be free to use DropBox, rsync, floppy, etc. to keep their data synced up.

But then Apple made iCloud free and I figured it wasn't worth even researching the APIs.
fracai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
NaOH
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
Is there any method that does not involve the internet? Something that can be done mac to mac without using clouds or cloud-like services?

Well, a memory stick would work.

I assume these Macs exist on the same network. Have you tried placing symbolic links to the necessary files or folders in /Users/Shared on Mac1? Then, on Mac2 what happens if you access the files in that shared folder? Can you copy the data? If yes, you could probably combine AppleScript and a Launch Agent to automate the work, or something along those lines.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
acme
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOH
Well, a memory stick would work.

I assume these Macs exist on the same network. Have you tried placing symbolic links to the necessary files or folders in /Users/Shared on Mac1? Then, on Mac2 what happens if you access the files in that shared folder? Can you copy the data? If yes, you could probably combine AppleScript and a Launch Agent to automate the work, or something along those lines.

the memory stick method failed me because the Mac receiving the Address book stuff wouldn't allow the incoming files to replace what was there..said "in use" even tho address book wasn't running.


the macs can be on the same network but I haven't succeeded in mounting one on the other...they "see" each other but after I hit Connect, it times out saying couldn't find the computer.

!

Thank you!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
acme
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracai
But then Apple made iCloud free and I figured it wasn't worth even researching the APIs.

yeah...people are probably saying, en masse, "to heck with hardware, we'll just use the Cloud."

...even tho it all IS hardware-based...it's new, easy-breezy and cool. So folks like you have their work obviated even before you've begun it but I salute you for even having the idea.

feels like we're being gently strong-armed into iCloud-istan.

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
NaOH
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
the memory stick method failed me because the Mac receiving the Address book stuff wouldn't allow the incoming files to replace what was there..said "in use" even tho address book wasn't running.

I suspect (read: I haven't tested) a different method would work. Rather than try to directly replace the existing files on Mac2, I would move the existing ones on Mac2 to the Trash then copy the files from Mac1 to the proper locations on Mac2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
the macs can be on the same network but I haven't succeeded in mounting one on the other...they "see" each other but after I hit Connect, it times out saying couldn't find the computer.

Have you enabled System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing? On Mac1, have you granted a Mac2 user the necessary privileges while in that part of System Preferences on Mac1? Have you tried logging into Mac1 from Mac2 using the credentials of your Mac1 administrator account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
feels like we're being gently strong-armed into iCloud-istan.

There are a number of factors in play, I think. One is that we're about into our fourth decade of the personal computer. The reality is that most people really don't get how they work or how to do things. Everyone in this thread is well beyond the average user in ways that are almost unfathomable to us. You made a logical move when you first attempted to solve this issue: You exported a vCard of your Mac1 contacts. I promise you, most people in the world have no clue what a vCard is.

On top of that, a fundamental goal of computing is simplification of repetitive tasks. Automating device synchronization is just one example of this.

None of that's to say you should be embracing things as they are. But recognize that your perspective is a minority one, so your views will lead to instances like this in which your computing life is more difficult.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
acme
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOH
On top of that, a fundamental goal of computing is simplification of repetitive tasks. Automating device synchronization is just one example of this.

None of that's to say you should be embracing things as they are. But recognize that your perspective is a minority one, so your views will lead to instances like this in which your computing life is more difficult.


Nicely stated, NaOH...you are right to point out the hard cores from the dads n grampaws who have minimal skill and knowledge.

when I get back home, I'll try your other excellent suggestions, and let you know how it turns out.

meanwhile, there appears to be a promising app on the app store that will get at least half of what I want done with address book.

thank you and others for the comments and input.

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site design © IDG Consumer & SMB; individuals retain copyright of their postings
but consent to the possible use of their material in other areas of IDG Consumer & SMB.