Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
sactown
Prospect

mail app display e-mail address instead of name in list view

I recently upgraded to a new laptop (and the new OS and mac apps came with it) and in mail I'm trying to figure out how to change what is displayed in the "From" field when using the Classic list view. Right now it lists the senders name (John Doe) instead of their e-mail address (John.Doe@company.com). I much prefer to see the e-mail address instead of just the name in the list view, but I can't for the life of me find a setting to do that. Smart Addresses setting only impacts the display of an individual message but not the list view.

I searched around here for quite some time but didn't find any info on this hence the new thread. Anyone have some suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.
sactown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
johngpt
MVP

I'm commenting not because I have an answer for you, but because I'm interested in hearing the responses. I just fired up my older MBP running Tiger to see what my Mail app exhibited. It looks pretty much like my new Mail in Lion. Both old and new versions show sender's name in the From column. Sometimes it'll be an email address but primarily it'll be a name, such as Amazon.com or "Frank and Barb." I've always just looked in the body of the email itself to see the expanded "From:" which shows the name like in the preview field followed by the email address of the sender.

I'm curious to hear how changing the view in the preview field might be accomplished. My googling didn't show any hints for how this might be amended.

My Flickr

Last edited by johngpt; 04-11-2012 at 11:55 PM.
johngpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
sactown
Prospect

Thanks for the comments John, it's incredibly ironic (or pathetic?) that an e-mail program can't display the e-mail addresses. So much emphasis on bells and whistles and stumbling horribly on the basics.

I'm not new to Macs, actually go all the way back to the original 128k mac, but stuff like this seems to crop up more and more lately. Related to this issue I went to apple's support pages in hopes of finding an answer and their manuals end at 10.6. I guess they think 10.7 users don't need any help lol.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
sactown
Prospect

So I called AppleCare this morning about this issue and they agree it is dumb and have no solutions to offer and invited me to submit feedback at apple.com/feedback. Thanks AppleCare, that was so helpful. I did submit feedback as I've done many times in the past for other things and as usual I doubt I'll hear anything back.

So until (or if) Apple fixes this I'd probably need some hack to fix this which is way beyond my skill set.

Anyone have recommendations for a 3rd party e-mail client? I used Eudora for many years with great success but switched to Mail.app when Eudora died. Now thanks to Apple's design brilliance I may need to change yet again. Frustrated is the operative word, managing my e-mail now takes a few more hours a day because the mail.app doesn't display e-mail addresses.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactown
I much prefer to see the e-mail address instead of just the name in the list view

I don't have a solution for you,
but I'm curious why you want to see the email address.

What is it in managing your email that you use the email address for?
Maybe a set of rules that would divert incoming messages into separate mailboxes based on email addresses would be useful?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
sactown
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
I don't have a solution for you,
but I'm curious why you want to see the email address.

What is it in managing your email that you use the email address for?
Maybe a set of rules that would divert incoming messages into separate mailboxes based on email addresses would be useful?

A very current example is I recently returned from a conference and spoke with about 100 people from at least 50 companies. So my inbox is filling up with e-mail from people whose names are meaningless to me but if I could see the full e-mail address I could quickly know who these people are by scanning down the list and seeing their company name as well in their e-mail address. I've got hundreds of messages from all these reps and their associates from the conference and I don't know who these people are. But if I could see it's Jane.Doe@companyx.com then I know what it's about before I even open it because I'm waiting to hear back from companyx. Rules aren't going to solve this, I don't need a mailbox for every company, I'd have thousands of mailboxes as a result and adding more every day.

I understand this is meaningless for people who only correspond with others who have gmail or me.com addresses but I use mail in business and now it's become terribly inefficient as a result. Everything was fine until they deleted this most common sense of features, displaying e-mail addresses in an e-mail program...duh!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
NaOH
Hall of Famer

None of Thunderbird, GyazMail, Postbox, Sparrow, Gmail online, or Outlook offer this option. There are no plugins listed at HawkWings or Tikouka that provide this functionality. It looks like using the Mail three-column layout for easy viewing of sender addresses may give the best solution for this.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
sactown
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOH
None of Thunderbird, GyazMail, Postbox, Sparrow, Gmail online, or Outlook offer this option. There are no plugins listed at HawkWings or Tikouka that provide this functionality. It looks like using the Mail three-column layout for easy viewing of sender addresses may give the best solution for this.

Thanks for the list, Thunderbird does have an add-on for this functionality found here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...-address-only/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: