Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPhone Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Diogones
Triple-A Player

Need help transferring data from iPhone 4 to 4s

Hey all,

I am helping a friend copy all of her stuff from her old iPhone 4 to a new iPhone 4s. However, I have some questions and confusions about how the copying works.

Since she doesn't have a computer with an iTunes library on it (all of her music is comprised of iTunes purchases) she can't simply attach the 4s to a computer and sync everything that is on the old iPhone.

Is there any way that I can directly send the data from the old iPhone to the new one, without a computer as a middle man? We've already used iCloud to copy her apps, contacts, and other data when we set up the new phone, but other things such as music and pictures are much more complicated, because she doesn't have iTunes Match, and only the Photo Roll is synced, not any other photos that were taken and saved on the iPhone 4.

Any help on transferring everything, and I mean everything: music, photos, ringtones, preferences, etc would be most appreciated!
Diogones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
fracai
MVP

You could use something like DropBox, but you'd have to manually send each photo to the DropBox app, and then manually import it on the new phone.

The easier option is of course to use a computer. You should also be able to go to an Apple store and ask them to transfer everything for you.

Also, you don't need iTunes Match to download music that has been previously purchased from iTunes. I don't recall off hand if there's a way to get a list of everything that's been bought, but I think if you just go to a track that has been previously purchased, it should be offered for download instead of purchase.
fracai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Actually a computer is the easiest way and Itunes would take care of it for you. You would back up the Iphone 4. More then once if you like. Then when you put the new phone on the computer to activate it the computer will ask you if you want to set up the phone as new or from a prior phone. I have done just that with 3 phones.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Diogones
Triple-A Player

Thanks both of you for the prompt and helpful replies! OK, well I've decided to take the computer approach, so what I did was create a new iTunes library on my Mac, and then copy all the music from her iPhone 4 using iRip, so that would be imported into iTunes. Then I synced everything else onto the computer, including photos and so forth.

I attached the iPhone 4s, and had it copy from the iTunes backup I'd made of the iPhone 4. Then I synced the music and everything else back onto the iPhone, so everything seems to be looking good.

However, I still have one question, and that is: how do I sync the pictures that are not part of the iCloud sync? If I try to sync them to the computer, then like music it will wipe the iPhone. Is there an app that I could use? DropBox sounds like a nice idea fracai, maybe I could give that a go?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Your making things hard on yourself. If you just let the new phone be new, Itunes would have taken care of everything for you. Itunes would back up everything from the Old Iphone (music, pictures, applications, etc.). Then you plug in the new phone and It essentially acts like a cloning system. It says hey do you want to set the phone up as new or restore from previous.

You taking the hybrid approach of creating libraries and using other software tools makes things more complicated. Im not saying there is not a time and place for that but this was not that situation if I understood correctly what you wanted to do.

I am not really clear on where you are now. The new phone could be reset from I believe general preferences making it virgin again. You then could plug it into a computer where the old phone was backed up several times and then you would be promted as I suggested.

***Lastly since things are sort of munged at the moment. Assuming everything is good on the old phone. Yet another option is to let your friend go to an Apple store with old and new and they will do what I have suggested, though perhaps they have a more spiffy way of doing it.

Last edited by anthlover; 04-12-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
Diogones
Triple-A Player

Thank you for your thorough reply anthlover! You are dead right: a computer would be just fine for copying the data from the old phone to the new one. However, my friend does not have her computer which held her iTunes library anymore. However, I backed it up before she sold it, so I can copy the backup of her iTunes library to my computer. All I have to do is hold down Option when I launch iTunes so I am prompted to create a new library, and then select her library from there.

Once it is loaded, I can simply hookup her old iPhone, backup her data, and then restore the new iPhone from that backup, while syncing the iTunes library to it.

There are a few flaws with this approach: It is much more complicated then if she had kept her computer with the original iTunes library on it, as you undoubtedly pointed out. And of course, I have to have her authorize my computer in order to download all of her purchased music from the iTunes Store that she has bought on her old iPhone since she sold her computer. And finally, once she syncs the iPhone to my computer, she can't sync to another computer - with music, at least - unless she wipes out her iPhone's previous data first.

Under the circumstances however - the fact that she doesn't have a computer with her stuff on it to sync the new iPhone - this seems like the best approach, short of taking it into the Apple store and having the Geniuses do it. The only thing I'm worried about that approach however, is that she might not have them do it for free. This is because her iPhone 4 is no longer under warranty, and she didn't buy her iPhone 4 directly from Apple, but instead through her cellular service provider.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Apple store never charges, they do care where the devices were bought. Have to run to work or would post longer.

I do believe that as long as what is on the old phone is still complete and you run a full back up and then restore the new phone from the old phones back you should be good to go. You may need a password for friends old phone if it is locked, but that should not be an issue.

**There is no risk to this method since your only doing the work on the new phone. **Note that you can force a back up by Right Clicking on the old Phone in Itunes. You would go to general settings on a new phone and do a reset to erase what ever in between state it is in.

All things being equal if an Apple Store is near by (pride aside). You might want to make the friend a Genius Appointment with a description of the need, moving music, pics, etc from a Iphone 4 to Iphone 4S). That way your not responsible for the transfer.

Future. Also even though with Icloud 5gb free (not enough for some?) for future data syncing many would be best served by having a computer to back up and sync there stuff too. Of course one could pay for xtra storage.

Last edited by anthlover; 04-20-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: