Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > OS X Server

Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
MacHilfe.ch
Prospect

Networked home folder

Dear readers and admin's

A friend of mine which does support a Mac Mini Server 10.6.8 in a school does have the problem, that he is able to access the networked home folder of users as long as the client system is 10.5.x or newer, but if he tries to access the very same home folders from systems with 10.3.x or 10.4.x, he is not able to login.
Unfortunately, I didn't find a clear declaration or statement that this is possible or not.

Does anyone have such a setup or can anyone give me some notes, help or tips?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Kind regards
Thomas Thaler
MacHilfe.ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
agentx
Hall of Famer

I suppose i am lucky as my sites always get updated all together and we only generally run OS matched systems by one OS increment.

10.7.3 server for 10.6 and 10.7 clients
10.6.8 server for 10.6 and 10.7 clients and maybe the odd 10.5 (most PPC systems out of service now)
10.5.8 server for 10.4, 10.5, 10.6

You will always have issues trying to do all the network home / PHD stuff with an OS that is too old. I only have one 10.4 /10.5 server left and we long stopped using these for network homes as clients are updated. 99.5% of my deployments are Snow/Lion now. 10.3 is so long on the tooth and frankly not good for many tasks as it has no support for ACLs which are vital for everything to work properly on later systems.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
MacHilfe.ch
Prospect

Thank you for your replay.
The problem is solved.
It was a dying switch. After exchange the users where able again to access their networked home folder from 10.3/10.4 clients

Thank you again.
Kind regards
Thomas Thaler
MacHilfe.ch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: