Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
RobertSK
Triple-A Player

Locked out of Microsoft Office X

I have a problem in that due to having to reinstall Microsoft Office X a number of time due to crashes of my system, I have now been locked out of my Microsoft Office X software due to exceeding limits specified in the license terms. Can anyone advise how to get back into my software?

As I am using OS 10.5.8 new software will not run!

regards, Robert
RobertSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSK
I have now been locked out of my Microsoft Office X software due to exceeding limits specified in the license terms.

Have you tried contacting Microsoft?

Failing that, I would suggest using NeoOffice instead.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
macosnoob
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSK
locked out of my Microsoft Office X software due to exceeding limits specified in the license terms.

What messages are you getting and/or what is happening? I'm unaware of any licensing restriction that would prevent reinstallation. (Office X doesn't "phone home" as far as anyone has been able to determine, though it does open a port to check for other Office X installations with identical serial numbers running on the same local network.)
macosnoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
RobertSK
Triple-A Player

Hi, my problem may be that I possibly have more than one copy of Office X but they are on different discs. What happens is that the program tried to launch but then doesn't leaving me with a message that it has not opened. I have installed it a couple of time but it never gets to launch the software. I don't know if you can suggest what I should do? regards, R.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
jsalmi
Major Leaguer

Contact Microsoft.
jsalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
macosnoob
MVP

Different "discs"? Different drives? Different computers? Regardless, the crux of the matter would be whether you're trying to run same-serial Office X installations simultaneously on machines connected by a local network. (To do so does violate your agreement.) Here's a mothersite explanation and a hint from just over a decade ago: Disable Office v.X network serial number check, http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...20406142423494. It's not really clear to me that this issue is your issue, but it's something to try. Of course, there's always Microsoft--good luck with that!
macosnoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

But, Microsoft dropped any support for Office v.X years ago.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...8&y=19&p1=2532
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
pendragon
Triple-A Player

You may care to give this a try. I used this technique several years ago and can affirm it worked as described:

Quit all Office applications. Trash the files listed below and then re-launch Microsoft Word. Your copy of Office will act as if it has been reinstalled and allow you to enter new serial number and registration information.

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004 (or X)/Office/
- OfficePID (normally an invisible file)

Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Microsoft
1. Carbon Registration Database
2. Office Registration Cache
3. Microsoft Office Settings

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
RobertSK
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosnoob
Different "discs"? Different drives? Different computers? Regardless, the crux of the matter would be whether you're trying to run same-serial Office X installations simultaneously on machines connected by a local network. (To do so does violate your agreement.) Here's a mothersite explanation and a hint from just over a decade ago: Disable Office v.X network serial number check, http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...20406142423494. It's not really clear to me that this issue is your issue, but it's something to try. Of course, there's always Microsoft--good luck with that!

Thanks for your help which I will give a try. I am trying to run Office on different drives using different system configurations (not at the same time) but not having any success at opening any of the Office programs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: