Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
dillan
Triple-A Player

Safari Downloads Finder Window Opens No Toolbar

As title

Clicking Show In Finder for a downloaded file in Safari 3.2.1 , the finder window does not have a toolbar the toolbar needs activation via the View/Show Toolbar option.

I've checked Safari and finder preferences and can find no option to enable Toolbar within Safari downloads Show In Finder windows.
dillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

That is not related to Safari in any way.
You are describing a Finder window, without a toolbar.
If you want to display the toolbar on any Finder window:
There's a small oval 'widget' in the top right corner of your finder window. If you click on that, you will then get the toolbar for that window - or you can also click on "Show Toolbar" under your View menu.
Either will do the same...
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
dillan
Triple-A Player

Ok...

I'm not sure exactly the problem. Opening new finder windows the toolbar is always present.

In Safari and Firefox opening a finder window from the Downloads window the toolbar is not present. On any other Mac opening a finder window from Safari/Firefox the toolbar is present.

This prompted me to assume the problem was Safari/Firefox related and the toolbar could be permanently switched on via a preference.

Fair enough the top/right finder window button does open and close the Toolbar unless there is an option to allow this I would of thought this was automatic.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

You are correct, it is automatic.
If you enter that Downloads window in the same way (from Safari, for example), then you can expect that the window will display the same way (list or column view, or other view selected) and with the same window settings - each time you enter that folder.
Here's the normal way to change those view settings: Open your selected window, change the settings to what you desire, then close the window. That (open, change, close) process will normally make the window open to those same view settings every time (or should).
Another way to change the window settings (and go back to defaults, I suppose) is to show hidden files in that folder, and delete the hidden file in that Downloads folder named ".DS_Store". Close the folder, then reopen it, and change the view settings if you like, then close the window. Should then work as you expect.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
dillan
Triple-A Player

Tried and failed, finder window still opening minus toolbar.

Tried this:

Finder windows are the problem, checked user library preferences com.apple.finder.plist and deleted.

Safari finder windows now have the toolbar.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: