Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 04-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Nuclear.Glow
Prospect

Unhappy Unable to access Sparse Disk Bundle - possible crypto

Hi all,

I have an old backup that I cannot access - I get told I don't have the permission to access the disk ("You do not have permission to open the document <bla>" where "<bla>" is the Sparse Disk Image Bundle). I have a suspicion because this is a backup of a system that had FileVault enabled (which I discarded later because it's a *sod* when you have a disk failure).

I do have the original FileVault password if that's required - is it possible to access this storage, and, if so, how do I go about it? I can't mount it in Disk Utility.

Thanks, NG
Nuclear.Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
fracai
MVP

FileVault doesn't automatically enable encrypted sparse image backups. The wording of the error message indicates a permission error, but it's also possible that file corruption could cause this.

What information does Disk Utility report about the disk image?
fracai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Do you have any other back ups? Sparse bundles are notorious for getting corrupted. Disk Utility may be able to repair them. You did not mention all the specifics. What computer, What OS, Is this a time machine back up, What wireless router (assuming an airport extreme or Apple time capsule). Wifi based back ups using sparse bundles is not a good idea, certainly not as your only back up. Bring the back up local USB and trying repairing it.

One should use multiple physical back ups (different disks). In addition an off site based service like crashplan is a good idea.

It all depends on the value of your data to you. You can never be to backed up. Also while firewire is great if the drive case does use an oxford chip set, your usually much better off using USB. Non oxford chip sets can be a road to heck and back, crashing and data loss.

In any case with more info we can be more helpful.

Last edited by anthlover; 04-09-2012 at 11:00 AM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Nuclear.Glow
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracai
FileVault doesn't automatically enable encrypted sparse image backups. The wording of the error message indicates a permission error, but it's also possible that file corruption could cause this.

What information does Disk Utility report about the disk image?

Thanks for the quick reply.

From Disk Utility:
Disk Description : bushido Disk Write Status : Not mounted, Read-only
Connection Bus : Disk Image Disk Image Size : 272 bytes (272 Bytes)
Disk Image Path : /Volumes/BKUP/bushido.sparsebundle

Interesting is that the disk reports to have used over 700GB of its 1TB capacity, but there's no sign of it when I look at the disk with the Finder.
I'm not familiar with the whole disk bundle idea, do you need to mount these? It's not a major problem, I can zap it (I have a full backup). It just made me wonder what was going on and where that data has gone..
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Nuclear.Glow
Prospect

My original reply came through later (moderator review queue - had to sign up anew)..

I'm not worried about this backup, I tend to run a dual backup scheme in addition to a home Time Machine (using Carbon Copy, although I'm also examining Super Duper because it can work with the stuff that Time Machine produces).

It just made me curious.

You'll have to wait for the moderated message, don't want to create dups .

Last edited by Nuclear.Glow; 04-09-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Message arrived :)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
anthlover
Hall of Famer

CCC is great. Super too. Would not mix and match tm with super. Multiple separte physical disks is better. Tm is better local.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back-up, encrypted backup, no permission

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: