Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
johngpt
MVP

advice wanted for setting up new MBP

I haven't yet powered up a brand new MBP, brought home today. I'd like to set it up in a way that helps avoid problems down the road, and to also be easier to trouble shoot.

I think I recall that when setting up a new mac, I probably want to set up one user account to be an admin, but not really use that account as my main user account. This way it stays as pristine as possible, and will allow me to determine if bad behavior in other user accounts happens in it. This was something I should have done back in 2007 with the MBP that is now going to be my "old" mac.

I'd like to transfer data from my 2007 MBP 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.4.11. The new MBP will be running 10.7, but I'm not sure if it will be 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 out of the box.

I've been googling Migration Assistant, and I've seen that it won't work to migrate data from 10.3.x, and a couple things I've read suggest that it won't work with 10.4.11. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

I was going to start with setting up a brand new user account, then later migrate the user accounts over from the old MBP. One of those accounts on the old MBP is the admin account of that computer. Will migrating it to the new MBP, which will have new passwords, create any difficulties?

And speaking of passwords, once I migrate or re-create the users from the old MBP to the new MBP, I could copy Users>Username>Library>Keychains>login.keychain from the old and paste into the same place on the new? If migration assistant works between Tiger and Lion, would that happen automatically in the process?

I have kept meticulous back ups from my 2007 MBP running 10.4.11, so whether migration assistant works or not probably won't be a major issue.

I've always used Mail as my email app. Does anyone have any advice about what to do or avoid when setting up Mail on the new MBP? I have four gmail accounts that are set up as IMAP in Mail on the old MBP.

And I've used Safari as my main browser. I guessing I can paste my backed up Username>Library>Safari folder into the same place on the new MBP? Or is there a more appropriate way to switch over all my saved bookmarks?

I'm probably not thinking of important things to ask, so if anyone has tips or suggestions, please!

My Flickr
johngpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
johngpt
MVP

I've set up several user accounts on the new MBP. I've upgraded to 10.7.3 via Software Update. I'm keeping two admin user accounts, including the original to set up the computer, unmodified. I'm using a third admin account as my primary user account.

I've discovered that my older MBP running 10.4.11 when trying to open Migration Assistant, asks me to run software update. When I try to do that, of course, none are available. So the new MBP Migration Assistant can't find the old MBP Migration Assistant.

No worries I thought. There are my external hard drives with all my backed up data.

But the new MBP has FW 800. And all my external HDs are FW 400. And so is the port on the older MBP.

No worries. I'll get an adapter.

Except today is Easter sunday.

So Target Disk Mode and the external HDs will have to wait until tomorrow when stores that carry adapters will again be open!

Wait a moment, the external HDs have a USB port.

Maybe I can keep going after all!

My Flickr
Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
benwiggy
League Commissioner

If you are keeping two other admin accounts, then I would advise making your "everyday" working account a "standard", non-admin account, to provide better security.

I would have thought that bookmarks and password would get transferred in Migration Assistant, but if they don't, then I would copy over the relevant files.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
johngpt
MVP

If I make my everyday working account standard, I can still download and install apps? I would just be prompted for an admin password?

My Flickr
Old 04-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngpt
If I make my everyday working account standard, I can still download and install apps? I would just be prompted for an admin password?

You'll be prompted for an administrator name and password. Let's say you have two accounts, AdminJohn and StandardJohn. When you're using the standard account and attempt to do something that requires administrator credentials, you'll need to enter AdminJohn as the account name and the password for that administrator account.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
johngpt
MVP

Thanks NaOH.

You're the salt of the earth!

My Flickr
Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
ldrury
Triple-A Player

Talking

Wouldn't be much fun swimming in the ocean if NaOH were the salt of the earth though!
ouch!

15" MacBook Pro 2.66GHz i7
Gone to pasture: 1400c Powerbook, G3 CRT iMac, G4 iBook 800MHz, G4 iBook 1.33GHz, MacBook 2.16GHz
ldrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
johngpt
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrury
Wouldn't be much fun swimming in the ocean if NaOH were the salt of the earth though!
ouch!

That made even me groan!

My Flickr
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
johngpt
MVP

Something I noticed after changing my "everyday" user account to standard rather than administrator:

Console app no longer allows me to see the system logs.

Let's say I need to look at those system logs, or crashreporter logs at some time to figure out what may be going wrong, would I have to log in as one of my admin users to look at those? And if so, does the system log in console.app from that admin user account show the whole computer? Or does it just show activity in that user account?

I'm at work now and I guess I can wait until I'm home to look, but since I can't see the standard user's sys.log from the standard user account, I'm not sure how I'd know if it's the same as the sys.log from the admin user account.

My guess is that sys.log means exactly that. System. And therefore shows activity for the whole computer.

My Flickr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: