Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
bloozman
Prospect

Where is /Library/Java/Extensions folder in Lion (OS X 10.7.2)

I am following some instructions to place something in this folder /Library/Java/Extensions and I cannot seem to find such a folder.

I can find the Library folder using Go in Finder, but not this folder: /Library/Java/Extensions or any such Java folder.

Is it the fact that the library folder and files are hidden complicating this?

Where is Java stored on the Volume in Lion or version OS X 10.7.2 and where is this folder, specifically?

Thanks in advance
bloozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Java is not installed in Lion by default.
Download and install Java: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1421
That should create the folder that you need to use.
It will be, in fact, in the location that you listed: /Library/Java/Extensions/
The /Library folder is not hidden - you can find it at the root of your hard drive. Only your own user (or Home) Library is hidden.

Last edited by DeltaMac; 03-03-2012 at 08:00 PM.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
bloozman
Prospect

Thanks for the reply DeltaMac,

I appreciate the assistance. Sorry, it is not that simple. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I already installed Java.

I can run the Hello World program. I know the compiler is working.

I do need to know more about how to access via the root rather than a user. I was looking at a bit of that recently.

I still cannot find /Library/Java/Extensions folder.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozman
I still cannot find /Library/Java/Extensions folder.

1. Double click on the icon for your hard drive or use the Finder Go menu to select Computer then double click on the listing for your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD).
  2. Open the Library folder, then the Java folder.
  3. There should be an Extensions folder in there. Go ahead and create one if there isn't (you'll be prompted for an administrator password in order to make any changes within /Library).
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Are you sure you're not confusing the Library folder in your user account with the Library folder at the top level of your hard drive?
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
bloozman
Prospect

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
Are you sure you're not confusing the Library folder in your user account with the Library folder at the top level of your hard drive?

Thank you benwiggy! Yes I was (although technically this new MacBook Air does not have a true 'hard drive', but a flash drive), because I did not know how to get to the computer library, when logged in as a user. With NaOH's instructions, I was able to use the Finder Go menu to see 'Computer' and then that Library and the folders are there as you all say.

Thank you all!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
NaOH
Hall of Famer

So you understand for the future, by default a Mac has three Library folders. These two are usually accessed by beginning at the root of your hard drive:

/System/Library
/Library

Generally, the first one is reserved for Mac OS X and third-party software won't put anything in there. Similarly, users shouldn't touch files in here unless they know what they're doing because an improper decision could lead to a non-functioning computer. The second one (/Library) is where software will install items to be used by all users. Again, this is an area users generally shouldn't go. Finally, there is the Library folder in your User folder. This will usually be listed in one of two ways:

Macintosh HD/Users/[Your User Name]/Library
~/Library

The ~ symbol is a common shorthand for saying "within your user folder." Items in a user's Library folder apply only to that user. Removing things here typically leads to user settings being removed (e.g., application preferences, Address Book entries, calendar events, etc.).
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
agentx
Hall of Famer

It should also be noted in Lion the User Library folder is "invisible" you can always get to it from Go to Folder in Finder Go menu or make it visible but this tends to get reset between system updates.

Using Terminal copy paste this in and press enter.
Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
You may also want to show devices in sidebar menu.
Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Check boxes : Hard Disk, External Disks and CD/DVD
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
johngpt
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx
It should also be noted in Lion the User Library folder is "invisible" you can always get to it from Go to Folder in Finder Go menu or make it visible but this tends to get reset between system updates.

Using Terminal copy paste this in and press enter.
Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
You may also want to show devices in sidebar menu.
Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Check boxes : Hard Disk, External Disks and CD/DVD

agentx, thank you! I knew there had to be a way to show the user's library in finder. I had already discovered the finder preferences to show all the volumes.

I needed a way to work with my user library. I wanted to replace my new MBP Safari bookmarks plist with the one from my old MBP Safari.

Your copy/paste command did the trick. And my replacement appears to have worked as the menu bar here now shows my old bookmarks.

My Flickr
johngpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: