Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
hairgod

How do I access a .accdb?

Been trying to open an .accdb file all morning. I read some previous posts that said I should be able to with openoffice.org as long as the Base extension was installed. Well, I've installed and tried, but it won't open the files. Is there something that I am doing incorrectly? Why can't I open the files? Is there some extension that I can add to help?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairgod
Been trying to open an .accdb file all morning. I read some previous posts that said I should be able to with openoffice.org as long as the Base extension was installed. Well, I've installed and tried, but it won't open the files.

A little more detail might be helpful. What happens when you attempt to open the file? Is there a message of any sort? How are you attempting to open the file (double clicking it or by launching Open Office then using File > Open)? If you right click (or Control-Click) on the database file and select Get Info, is there an application listed in the Open With pop-up menu?
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

That's a Microsoft Access file... MS has never offered anything yet that will allow even read-only Access files on OS X.
Here's a thread that mentions another app that someone has available that should open that file: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=393832
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
trevor

As a general rule, if you have a file with an extension that you don't know, you can go to the FilExt website: http://filext.com and enter the extension in the search box, and it will tell you known applications that use that particular extension.

If you look up .accdb specifically on that site, you'll see: http://filext.com/file-extension/accdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilExt.com
Detailed information for file extension ACCDB:
Primary association: Access
Company: Microsoft Corporation

Now, using your preferred search engine to search for "Microsoft Access for Mac", you can see that many other people have asked the same question that you did, and there are some partial solutions or workarounds available.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.accdb, database, openoffice

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: