Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Bob5545
All Star

Receiving Faxes in Mac Lion not working

Anyone have any ideas on why my USB Fax Modem will not answer when the phone line to receive faxes is ringing. I can send faxes, but I can not get the phone line to answer. I have to line set to answer after 2 rings, but when I call that line the fax will not engage.

I am using a Conexant fax modem with the standard 1.0 driver.

Any ideas.

The modem is connected in a USB hub.

Thanks
Bob5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
anthlover
Hall of Famer

I would ditch the Hub to start for testing. It might be helpful to know which modem model, which computer you have, what version of lion, whether your system is set to sleep, whether it set to wake for network activity, etc. Is it Apple Software your using under Printer and Fax and you have it set to 1) Receive faxes on the computer 2) Pick up after X Rings? What kind of Phone line do you have is it Analog, VOIP (fios, cable company, etc.).
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
skscott
Prospect

I am running Lion 10.7.4. I have a USB Modem (Zoom 3095) plugged into USB on computer with a splitter (one line to wall jack and one line to phone w/answering machine). I can receive faxes fine, but my computer WILL NOT pickup when a fax comes in!

I have been told this modem works for others.

My DSL is with AT&T and I have the Digital Phone; could this be the reason? Any ideas?

I have everything set up correctly - double checked.
skscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Faxing

"I can receive faxes fine, but my computer WILL NOT pickup when a fax comes in! "

How do you receive the faxes then?

1) I would check the Macs settings for Energy saver and see if it is set to **Wake for network Access**.
2) For teting get rid of the splitter and make sure your not using a USB Hub.
3) Yes sometimes Digital, VOIP, etc. can be the issue.

I also would consider using a product like maxemail.com that allows you receive and send faxes for $24 a year. For Secure faxes you set the system not email you the faxes but send you secure download links. There are many choices.

Last edited by anthlover; 07-28-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Bob5545
All Star

Make sure you do not have a DSL filter on the line, that prevents receiving faxes.

It should work.

If you can send faxes you should be able to receive them.

Make sure the Receive Faxes on this computer is checked. Also there is really no notification alert that you have a received fax other than checking the Shared Faxes Folder in Users.

I use a cheap Ebay modem.

It’s a Conexant Systems Inc. modem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=120749146250

It works without issue. This modem connected into a powered USB hub that works. I did have some problems with the Fax when directly connected to my iMac USB port.

Keep trying.
Bob5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
skscott
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover
"I can receive faxes fine, but my computer WILL NOT pickup when a fax comes in! "

How do you receive the faxes then?

1) I would check the Macs settings for Energy saver and see if it is set to **Wake for network Access**.
2) For teting get rid of the splitter and make sure your not using a USB Hub.
3) Yes sometimes Digital, VOIP, etc. can be the issue.

I also would consider using a product like maxemail.com that allows you receive and send faxes for $24 a year. For Secure faxes you set the system not email you the faxes but send you secure download links. There are many choices.

My BAD - I meant I could SEND faxes okay, but receiving is a different story.
1/ I DO have computer to "wake for network access"
2/ I DO have the computer to NOT sleep
3/ I WAS NOT using a USB hub
4/ "maxemail.com" is not available in my area code

I did manage to receive a couple of faxes over a week after I UNCHECKED "error correction".

I can boot into Snow Leopard and hookup my Apple USB Modem (with splitter) and all is happy, but I am trying to move to Lion and that is my last battle/problem to work out.

I may try returning the Zoom 3095 and getting the cheaper Conextant Modem everyone says works for them and see if it will for me.

I am not a computer novice; been working on Mac for 20+ years so I know my way around the settings, but this one definitely has me puzzled.
skscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Some progress at least

Some progress at least. I suggest you go straight to Mountain Lion. It much faster and more polished. I jumped straight from snow to ML. I used CCC to make a bootable usb stick of the installer once downloaded from app store.

I just use Maxemail with the cheapie long distance area code which is is Chicago I think. Almost everyone has free long distance now. Local codes cost more, though they come with extra included fax pages. The faxpages roll over so I have like a lifetime supply. There are other good providers.

I love being able to recieve without worrying about the line being tied up.

Im sure one of the other providers has a local area if need be

Good Luck with the modem. Did you try unplugging the phone to make sure there not fighting over the line?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: