Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
drman7
Triple-A Player

What to buy? Need Help...

I'm giving my Mac Pro (2 yrs. old) to my daughter and I'm looking at another 13" Mac Pro Or a 11" Mac Air... I love the size of the Mac Air but I'd love to hear from the experts on Pros and Cons of each system. I'm 65 and my computer smarts are limited. What I enjoy doing is surfing the web, FB, play poker on poker stares and upload pics...
drman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

I'm guessing you mean MacBook Pro (i.e laptop) rather than Mac Pro.

To be honest, any Mac will perform the tasks you want without any problem (surfing the web, FB, play poker on poker stares and upload pics...).

Computers these days are so powerful that these sort of things are not a problem at all.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
mnewman
MVP

I never thought much about the MacBook Air until my wife went out and bought one. It's a real jewel. IMHO the nicest laptop we've had since our 12" PowerBook (still running, BTW). My wife's an attorney, so she does all that lawyerly crud on it. And, it's just right for web surfing, email. FB, photos, etc.

Certainly have a look and see if the screen size is OK for you.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
drman7
Triple-A Player

Yes I meant mac book and its great to hear good things about the Mac air because it will be so lite and EZ to travel with... Thx

Last edited by drman7; 03-30-2012 at 07:40 PM.
drman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
agentx
Hall of Famer

I personally would go for the 13inch MacBook Pro if you need more ports & gigabit ethernet etc....I prefer the screen and has a bit more oomph. Easier to fix/pop your own SSD in etc. I have to support Air's and i have a bit of a love / hate relationship with them ;-)

But if you can afford a MBA and a swanky thunderbolt display then it is an very good combo but expensive and low/medium powered.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Well a few things. There is always a new machine coming out but my I understanding is that new Macbook Pros are Due out within about a month, at least an announcement.

As to the Airs, Pro 13 and 15, etc. For your needs as others have states you can Go Air and be very very Happy, though I would recommend the 13 from the current systems with 4GB of Ram and 256GB ($1599) SSD Hard Drive (at least a 128GB 13 inch Air $ 1299). The best way to decide about screens and keyboards and such is to go to store and look for ones self, while trying out applications you use.

Details: The Airs are now powered by the Same I series 5 and 7 processors and the Macbook Pro line and same built In Intel video on the 13 Pro. The Macbook Airs are now very fast. Boot very fast and are wonderful. They do not even cost much more then their Pro counterparts.

Suitability for using air depends partially on what people do, and what they need to store, on the internal SSDs (Hard Drives) are smaller at sane prices then traditional hard drives.

So for people that need to have greater then 256GB of storage, you know people with millions of pics of their children etc. built up over years then perhaps a non air would be better.

And of course People that need portable workstations might be better served by a Pro 15 with 4 Cores instead of 2 and all the Pros can take up to 16GB of ram while the Air are limited to the 4GB soldered to most of their motherboards (plenty for most) but not for people that want to heavy duty Photoshop and Final Cut, etc.

The only thing one gives up with an Air is Ports that in your case your not likely to need and large internal HD, which it also does not sound like you will need.

All that said besides going to the store to look at the systems in person. Once has to ask themselves what they want and why. The Airs (13) as they exist now are about 1.5 pounds lighter 3 pounds vs 4.5. The Air 11 is about 2.5 pounds. They boot faster and some functions regarding starting apps and so forth are faster because of the SSDs. Although as some pointed out you can SSD to a regular pro.

Last edited by anthlover; 04-01-2012 at 12:22 AM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
thayward
Prospect

Smile Love love love macbook air

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx
I personally would go for the 13inch MacBook Pro if you need more ports & gigabit ethernet etc....I prefer the screen and has a bit more oomph. Easier to fix/pop your own SSD in etc. I have to support Air's and i have a bit of a love / hate relationship with them ;-)

But if you can afford a MBA and a swanky thunderbolt display then it is an very good combo but expensive and low/medium powered.

I recently experienced a battery problem with my 5 year old 17" MacBook Pro Titanium (the battery kind of exploded/expanded out of the computer), so I thought it time to buy a new laptop. I went to the apple store and spent a good deal of time thinking about what I really needed. I use to do some web development for work (and me too sometimes) and I really needed the 17" of real estate.

So I looked at the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air with 13" displays. I thought about what I used every day -- what peripherals I had plugged in, etc. How much I used the internal CD/DVD -- not much unless I needed to install something -- which, again, was not often.

The MacBook Pro has all the goodies included, CD/DVR, lots of ports, more gigs, etc. SO TEMPTING! However, the MacBook Air is as fully capable (although if you need to run Parallels (like my hubby) and OSX Lion, the more gigs the better). Having said that, I purchased the MacBook Air and I have zero regrets. Here's why,

First, I have wireless and can use it to install apps.

Second, I have an Apple Time Capsule and have been backing up my Titanium for some time now, my hubby's 3 year old MacBook Pro 13", and my 21" iMac desktop -- no need for a plug in backup drive. (I used Time Capsule to transfer all of my Titanium data, and 3rd party apps without a hitch). I did purchase a 1TB WD My Passport for Mac drive for an upcoming trip to Europe. Also, you can buy a $39 ethernet adapter should you come across a situation where wireless is not available.

Third, you can purchase an external usb CD/DVD superdrive for $79 (which I did -- I've plugged it in once to make sure it works.

Fourth, I purchased the MacBook Air with 4GB of memory. My Titanium had 6GB, an upgrade from 4GB just for grins because I had a failed internal drive and had to open her up anyway). I don't need more than 4GB.

Fifth, it is fast -- the flash memory is great.

Lastly, it runs really cool to the touch, requires only a 45W adapter to charge it. I can put it on my lap in a room with no air conditioning and :-) I'm happy. I could not do this with my Titanium. Even with a fan powered lap stand, it was too hot and uncomfortable. Ok, so I don't really know if the new MacBook Pro 13" runs hotter than the MacBook Air, but sitting it on my lap is a biggie for me.

So to recap, I bought the 4GB MacBook, ethernet adapter ($39), external CD/DVD superdrive ($79), and external little WD My Passport drive ($139). All purchased from the Apple store.

Just think about what you REALLY need.

Cheers,
Teresa

Last edited by thayward; 06-27-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: grammer
thayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drman7
What I enjoy doing is surfing the web, FB, play poker on poker stares and upload pics...

Not sure about "poker stares" - some of the online game sites use Flash which is not supported on iOS, but otherwise it would seem like you would be well served by an iPad. (cheaper and lighter than an Air, and better battery life)
Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
Not sure about "poker stares" - some of the online game sites use Flash which is not supported on iOS, but otherwise it would seem like you would be well served by an iPad. (cheaper and lighter than an Air, and better battery life)

It's easy for someone to check in advance on a Mac if their must-have sites will render properly/completely on an iPad.
  1. In Safari on the Mac, use the Safari menu to select Preferences.
  2. Go to the Advanced section then enable Show Develop Menu In The Menu Bar. Close the Preferences window.
  3. Still in Safari, under the Develop menu is the User Agent sub-menu for setting the browser identity to iOS Safari for iPad.
  4. Visit the important sites and use them as you normally would. Just note that setting the user agent will have to be set for every new window or tab.
And for sites that lose something using Safari iPad, it's possible there's an app instead. A web search for something like app [site name] iPad will likely reveal if that's the case.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
ganbustein
MVP

Setting the User Agent doesn't necessarily tell you what you want to know. The idea, and it's a laudable one, is that the site may examine the User Agent field and respond with different pages accordingly, always sending what will look best with that browser on that device. But there are some big assumptions there:

The site may not look at User Agent at all, and send the same pages to every user.

The site may be mistaken about what your browser can or cannot do. Just as an example, the site might think "I know not to send Flash content to an iPhone. Is this an iPhone? No, it's an "iPad", whatever the heck that is. It's not an iPhone, so it must support Flash.) The page will render correctly anyway on your Mac, but not on your iPad.

The point is, the site may use erroneous logic. That's a bug, but bugs have been known to happen. The only way to know if something will work for real is to try it for real. A fake test may lead you to fake conclusions.

Of course, if changing the User Agent makes the page not load at all, you've learned something useful. It's not a useless test; just an incomplete test.
ganbustein is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: