Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
vanakaru
All Star

How to stop launchd doing what it does?

I need my MBP perform at the maximum. So I try to eliminate any process that may cause problems.
I see this in Console

Code:
27.03.12 12:09:56	com.apple.launchd[1]	(com.digidesign.fwfamily.helper) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
27.03.12 12:10:06	com.apple.launchd[1]	(com.digidesign.fwfamily.helper[58158]) posix_spawn("/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/FireWire/DigidesignFireWireHelper", ...): No such file or directory
27.03.12 12:10:06	com.apple.launchd[1]	(com.digidesign.fwfamily.helper[58158]) Exited with exit code: 1
The routine is relaunced in every 10sec ALL THE TIME. I do not have any Digidesign elements left that I can find. How to stop these?
vanakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
chabig
Hall of Famer

Delete /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.digidesign.fwfamily.helper.plist

Note: This is in the main Library folder, not your user library, and you'll need to enter an administrator password to do it.
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
vanakaru
All Star

Thanks!
Found some other demons there too.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

dAEmon, not dEmon!!

And you probably know this already, but for the benefit of others, be vewwwey vewwwey careful removing things from /Library/LaunchDaemons/, and especially /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/, or you might have 100% of CPU time available to you.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
tw
Hall of Famer

I'm going to say this as a pro forma exercise, knowing full well it will be ignoredů

You do not need your MPB to "perform at the maximum". Except when you are doing something extremely processor intensive, you'll be using only a fraction of your machine's capacity; little tics like this launchd process are barely noticeable on machine timescales, much less timescales perceivable by human users.

I understand that obsessive urge to treat your computer like an old-school hot-rod, spending hours 'under the hood' trying to eke out a few extra horsepower. However, it's mostly a futile gesture with computers. You run a non-negligible fubar risk for no real gain.

The best advice anyone is ever going to give you about using a modern computer is right here: If ya ain't *durned* sure it's broke, don't fix it! Take that to heart and you will save yourself hours of self-inflicted headaches.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
vanakaru
All Star

So, people be careful!
Yes I am very careful with dAEmons, but can care less for dEmons.
I use my computer at the live video performance where runaway background processes even ignorable may produce a glitch on screen. And I try to eliminate this possibility as much I can.
At this point it would be good to ask if there is a uninstaller that removes all that installer adds. I find most audio stuff(VSTs, AUs) is very difficult to weed out when you do not use these any longer.

Last edited by vanakaru; 03-27-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
fracai
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
I'm going to say this as a pro forma exercise, knowing full well it will be ignoredů

You do not need your MPB to "perform at the maximum". Except when you are doing something extremely processor intensive, you'll be using only a fraction of your machine's capacity; little tics like this launchd process are barely noticeable on machine timescales, much less timescales perceivable by human users.

I understand that obsessive urge to treat your computer like an old-school hot-rod, spending hours 'under the hood' trying to eke out a few extra horsepower. However, it's mostly a futile gesture with computers. You run a non-negligible fubar risk for no real gain.

The best advice anyone is ever going to give you about using a modern computer is right here: If ya ain't *durned* sure it's broke, don't fix it! Take that to heart and you will save yourself hours of self-inflicted headaches.

Normally I'd agree, but I think this case falls in the "it broke" category. Sure, nothing was critically failing, but there were indeed processes trying to run that should have been removed whenever Digidesign was uninstalled.

Plus, I think the "If ya ain't *durned* sure it's broke, don't fix it!" mentality can lead to users being afraid to understand their systems. Yes, a new user should start slow when they dive into /System, Library, and the command line, but that doesn't mean they should stay away completely.
fracai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
tw
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracai
Normally I'd agree, but...

As I said, "knowing full well thatů"

Generic observation about life, #4: There is always a rational justification for doing whatever it is you've already decided you're going to do anyway.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracai
Plus, I think the "If ya ain't *durned* sure it's broke, don't fix it!" mentality can lead to users being afraid to understand their systems. Yes, a new user should start slow when they dive into /System, Library, and the command line, but that doesn't mean they should stay away completely.

Yeah, sort of. However, Unix is one of those "a little knowledge can be very dangerous" situations. Around new years someone wanted to remove the .DS_Store files across his drive - simple enough. His copy/paste command wiped out his main drive AND all his backups.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
fracai
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme.mail.order
Yeah, sort of. However, Unix is one of those "a little knowledge can be very dangerous" situations. Around new years someone wanted to remove the .DS_Store files across his drive - simple enough. His copy/paste command wiped out his main drive AND all his backups.

If it's the event that I remember, that was due to blindly copying a command that had been posted on Apple's discussion forums.

I completely agree that "little knowledge can be dangerous". It's why I said they should start slow. We all started somewhere. It just seems to me that I see a whole lot of, "Don't do that. Only professionals should worry about this stuff. It's too difficult for you to figure out." Instead, I'd like to see a whole lot more of, "Be very careful with this and be sure you fully understand what this does. If you don't, don't fool yourself into thinking it's OK."

It reminds me of the time, years ago, that I was helping my dad design letterhead in Claris Brushstrokes. He suggested trying some effect and I jumped in to try it. He jumped to tell me not to because it might not come out right. I said, "Don't worry, we can undo 7 times." and continued with the effect. Gah, can you imagine being constrained by the number of steps that you could undo?

Anyway, my point is that you've got to get your feet wet if you're going to learn to swim, but that doesn't mean jumping into the deep end should be your first lesson. Nor, that no one should even even get near the pool.
fracai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #11
agentx
Hall of Famer

I have worked in Live Video & VJ world and helped countless people with system optimisation etc.

1) WIFI OFF very important.
2) Clean user for just for Live performance work not your day to day account. You will need to store most content in the shared folder or create a top level folder for your content and set permissions for access by all admin users.
3) fast disks, Ram 4-8GB and fat graphic card
4) Check activity monitor for any unused processes that may be running and then work through list to see what is needed..and see what is using CPU. But do not mess too much with system stuff !
5) Obviously optimise all content for your use. Size, Codec etc
6) Use Midi over ethernet not over WiFi.
7) Only run the programs you need when in Live mode. No browsers, email etc ;-)

Anyway hope this helps a bit, but really most of your optimisation will come from not using you day to day account.

What you using Modul8, Resolume Avenue,GrandVJ,VDMX or other delights ?

Last edited by agentx; 03-28-2012 at 04:31 AM.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
bramley
MVP

Several points.

[pedant]
1. The contents of /Library/LaunchDaemons aren't 'demons' or 'daemons' but 'launchd configuration files for daemons.'
[/pedant]

2. Simply deleting configuration files doesn't stop the already loaded copy of the configuration file from doing its stuff. You also need (in the worst case) to restart your machine to 'reset' launchd.

3. Deleting the configuration files is bad if you find you need the daemon later. It is much better to disable the daemon with
Code:
sudo launchdctl unload -w domainname.companyname.daemonname
Obviously, substitute the correct reference for 'domainname.companyname.daemonname'

Or alternately use Lingon. The Lion version is only $3.00

Finally, uninstalling an app correctly should be responsibility of the developer. Users should consider how the app is to be uninstalled as part of their decision to install the app in the first place.
bramley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: