Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
aurora72
Triple-A Player

Lion starts up without QE/CI (Quartz Extreme / Core Image)

Hi,

Recently, my Mac mini with Lion 10.7.2 started to start up without QE/CI (Quartz Extreme / Core Image) and without some other software such as Logitech's Mouse Software Center (the back/forward buttons of the mouse do not work)

Out of approximately 2 every startups, it starts up like this. At first, I thought a problem on the MacFuse-NTFS-3g was causing this. But I have completely cured it by replacing Macfuse by OSXFuse, but this startup problem still exists.

Waiting for your suggestions, thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quartz Extreme and Core Image are parts of the OS. How do you know they are not loading? How does it manifest itself? If Core Image wasn't loading, then I would expect major problems with ...well, images.
If you think a major component of the OS is not loading, then your best bet is to reinstall the OS. (10.7.3 is the latest version, by the way.)

As for the Logitech software -- Is it in your Login Items in System Prefs > Accounts?

You say you have "completely cured the problem" by replacing MacFuse with OSXFuse. But then you say the startup problem still persists.

What made you think MacFuse might be the cause? What NTFS disks do you have? What happens if you don't turn them on at boot?
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
aurora72
Triple-A Player

Hello

QE/CI should not be loading because the menu bar at the top is opaque, not transparent and when I select a grid menu at the taskbar at the bottom, its animation is not smooth. AFAIK, QE/CI ensure such graphical tasks in Mac OS, it's a guess.

Logitech Software doesn't have to be in System Prefs > Accounts because it runs for every user. The problem is; the Logitech mouse works only generally but not Logitech Mouse-specific features such as back & forward browse buttons. That happens when Mac OS fails to start up the QE/CI features.

I completely cured solely the MacFuse NTFS-3G problem . It was causing an extremely bad error: It was blocking the computer from shutting down when external NTFS HDD was connected. That was very serious problem, and I suppose the QE/CI and other (mouse) problems arose during that time.

Now, the Mac mini does this problematic start-up no matter if I connect any external HDD or not. It does it, approximately once in every two start-ups.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
benwiggy
League Commissioner

1. There is a preference setting for an opaque or transparent menu bar.
I am not convinced that an opaque menu bar would be the result of QE and CI "not loading".
2. A slower than expected animation also is not indicative of these frameworks "not loading". A list of files from a Dock folder might take some time to create, the first time it is done.

3. Your MacMini is quite old, so I don't think you can expect optimal performance on Lion.

I doubt very much whether a major part of the OS has just suddenly become absent.

As for the Logitech issue: the simplest thing would be to reinstall the software. I would also suggest that you install the Lion Combo updater to 10.7.3.

It might also be worthwhile verifying the disk, to ensure that no faults are causing these problems.

Last edited by benwiggy; 03-27-2012 at 09:55 AM.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
agentx
Hall of Famer

Run the 10.7.3 Combo update it should hopefully put things right.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: