Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
pritcharddesign
Prospect

DiskWarrior Emergency Bootable Disk

I just downloaded DiskWarrior, disk on the way. But I need to check my startup disk now! I haven't found any way online to create a bootable DW disk...any ideas?

Thank you!
pritcharddesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
pritcharddesign
Prospect

Never mind, I found it. You can't.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

That is an inaccurate conclusion.
One method to create a bootable DW -
Make a bootable partition on an external hard drive. Install your OS X version for your Mac on that partition. When you have that set up to your satisfaction, copy the DW app to the Applications folder. Boot to that partition (on your external hard drive), and run DW to check your internal hard drive.
That will let you do the bulk of what DW is capable of doing.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
cpragman
All Star

What DeltaMac said works. I put a small second partition on my Time Machine volume for doing this. Prior to apple releasing their recovery partition in Lion, I would always create a small extra partition on my boot disk for the same purpose.
cpragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
agentx
Hall of Famer

This has always been a sticking point for Diskwarrior users as far as having the original disk to be able to make a upgraded bootable disk. I NEVER use the diskwarrior disk as it is too slow to boot anyway and have long stopped making a DW boot disk using Alsoft tools. They need to get with the program really as CD/DVD drives are on the way out on Mac portables and with Firewire possibly going too it is only going to get harder to fix newer hardware without creating bootable USB stick.

Overall i really would like Apple to buy this tool and incorporate into OS as HFS+ does have its issues and DW is the only answer to the problem a lot of the time.

But as others have said you can create a small bootable partition or a fast 16GB USB flash drive to install X (10.6.8 or 10.7.3 i have both) onto and add DW to it. I suppose it is easy for me as i have InstaDMG created fully patched vanilla images that i can just restore in a blink of an eye to a USB stick and drop DW onto it.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
pritcharddesign
Prospect

that is exactly what I did...booted from an external drive. Thanks for your responses!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: