Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
acme
MVP

Make Smart Folder other than boot volume?

I need to make a Smart folder on a folder located on an internal drive OTHER than the boot volume.

When I make a Smart Folder, regardless of what I have highlighted, the Smart folder always reverts to Mac>Documents and doesn't Smart Folder on the volume and folder I want to..

Is there a way to accomplish what I need to?

thanks!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

What do you want to use that Smart folder for?
If you only want to see a search result of files on that hard drive, then set it up that way in the search criteria. The smart folder itself, could be kept anywhere on your system. Open the folder, and you see your files.
When you save the smart folder, you can save it right to your external drive, if you think that's necessary. I can see where that could be used to find files on that drive, and you have the folder available to use only on that drive.
But - I think - the smart folder would only be usable on the system that created it. For example, I don't know if you could take that drive to another Mac, and expect the smart folder to function there in the same way. Might work, but you'd need to test that to see.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
acme
MVP

I get your concept, I just don't see any tools to actuate it. I don't see anything that let's me select "...On Drive A...Folder XYZ" or anything like that at all

a
Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Open the volume and, if desired, the folder where you'd like the Smart Folder to monitor. If creating a Smart Folder at /SomeVolume/SomeFolder (rather than just /SomeVolume), use the search field at the top of the open window for that folder. Then there will be choices along the top of the window (This Mac, SomeFolder, Shared) and you want to select your folder name in that list.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
acme
MVP

OK..If I type in the search window, THEN it shows me the name of the folder, but after selecting "Last Modified Date" and "Yesterday"
it pulls up nothing whatsoever.

I spent the whole day modifying files in that folder yesterday.

a

Last edited by acme; 03-22-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Hmm. Just in case, have you added that volume or folder to System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy? Another just-in-case idea is that sometimes you need to make the window wider to see all the available choices in that part of the window.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
acme
MVP

A worthy thing to check...I am now...and nothing is in the "Privacy" column of things for spotlight to ignore.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
OK..If I type in the search window, THEN it shows me the name of the folder, but after selecting "Last Modified Date" and "Yesterday"
it pulls up nothing whatsoever.

What are you entering in the search field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
A worthy thing to check...I am now...and nothing is in the "Privacy" column of things for spotlight to ignore.

Two additional things to check might be 1) testing in a new user account and 2) trying with your Lion system since this could be something that has changed between 10.6 and 10.7.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
acme
MVP

I just entered any old text..like "file" to get the folder name to appear.

testing in Lion isn't an option for this particular issue, but I can easily try a new user.

thank you!

a
Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
NaOH
Hall of Famer

I suspect the issue is that what you're entering in the search field is causing there to be no search results when you add the additional criteria. One thing to try would be (if possible) to enter something specific to the files, like

kind:pdf (or other file type)

Also, you could try entering this (setting the date as necessary):

modified:MM/DD/YYYY
Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
acme
MVP

ah..that works...thank you!

a
Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

You have to enter the drive partition manually, after selecting 'Other'. Someone here should have the correct command to make that happen.I've done it before (long ago), and I don't recall the way to enter that.
Maybe I'm making this process too challenging. Seems like there should be a simpler method.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
acme
MVP

I don't recall seeing "Other" anywhere in dealing with this..what did work was to get to the folder I needed smart foldered, and typed anything in the window's search field..

anything, including yesterday's date..THAT produced results.

Feels misleading to offer pulldowns that offer Modified and Yesterday, only to show nothing, but at least I discovered *a* way to get results, thanks to those here!

a
Old 03-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
NaOH
Hall of Famer

I assume DeltaMac is referring to the Other option which appears after you've added an additional search criterion. By default, the add-on criterion is Kind, but selecting that pop-up menu shows an Other option where the user can choose from the available Spotlight criteria. After that, I don't know which one DeltaMac would be referencing since none of the ones I saw seemed to apply to this situation, but I may have missed it.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
acme
MVP

Ah..ok..thank you and DeltaMac both.

a
Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
NaOH
Hall of Famer

For the record, it's easy to isolate a volume in a Spotlight search simply by entering

kind:folder name:foo

In this case, that's not of much value because the additional criteria can't be added to specify files within the desired volume (or a subfolder). In case that's not clear, the above Spotlight search would show the volume foo (and any other folders named foo). But if the search were modified to

kind:folder name:foo modified:MM/DD/YYYY

then only folders named foo modified on the specified date would show in the results.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: