Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > OS X Server

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
DoubleEdd
Major Leaguer

Home accounts by NFS in 10.7?

So... we have a couple of Mac Pros here, one of which runs 10.7 server and lets people log in by ssh or vnc, and also provides OD accounts for the second machine running normal 10.7 where people also log in by ssh or vnc.

Before we upgraded to 10.7, OD accounts were NFS mounted and this let multiple people ssh in to the second box quite happily. Now however, the Workgroup Manager insists on AFP or SMB, and when someone logs in to the second machine it mounts their account, and then stops anyone else's home being mounted if they try to log in by ssh.

So I'd like to get the accounts to mount home directories by NFS - is there a way to do this? I've got a general NFS export working, and can mount that as a folder on the second machine, but I can't get the OD account's home location to match up to it - as I said, Workgroup Manager is insistent on AFP or SMB.

Any suggestions?
DoubleEdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
DoubleEdd
Major Leaguer

Fixed this - I commented out the /Network/Servers line in /etc/auto_master, did
sudo automount -v
and symlinked the location the home folders are expected to where I'd got the NFS mount up (you could probably just mount it directly in the right place, but I'd already got that one done so took the slightly quicker option). Now on that machine it doesn't try to do the AFP mount, but looks the same place which is now an NFS mount.

Solution was buried in http://www.afp548.com/forum/viewtopi...howtopic=26009
Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
DoubleEdd
Major Leaguer

Additional note - you need to make sure the automount kicks in before someone logs in and makes it mount AFP.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: