Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
whitman
Triple-A Player

Problem saving in Preview

1. I open a jpeg in Preview (in Lion), then Duplicate it so I can create a modified version.

2. Make my change - an adjustment in size and resolution.

3. Click to close, expecting to name and save.

4. Dialogue box appears: << Do you want to save the changes you made in the document ... >>

5. Click Save; another box comes up: <<The document “Xxxx” could not be saved as “Xxxx Xxx”. You can duplicate the document or discard your changes to close it.>>

6. Not what I want, obviously. Seems to be a closed loop. Any ideas?
whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

After you duplicate the original file, change the dupe's file name.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
whitman
Triple-A Player

Deltamac, I tried what you said.

Duplicated; renamed; made my changes; got this message box:

<<The document “Xxxx” could not be autosaved. Your changes will not be saved until the problem is resolved. >>

No clue there as to what the "problem" is, which is frustrating. Another closed loop, apparently.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Ah - autosave is different.
try this:
Open your duplicate in Preview.
Quit Preview
Relaunch Preview, and your document should also automatically open again.
Now autosave should work.

this assumes that you have that document in a folder where you have permission to modify files, and that your new document is not locked, which will also prevent changes.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
whitman
Triple-A Player

Thanks for the continuing help, Deltamac.

OK, I created and named a duplicate. Quit Preview. Rebooted Preview: there's the file. Unlocked it. Changes. Go to save ... got same autosave-not-working message.

Then I got to thinking: other jpegs have generally worked OK, so maybe it's something to do with this file. I opened it in PS Elements, and I got a message telling me it was in an "unsupported color mode" and offering to convert it to RGB. I agreed, and all is now well.

Sorry for wasting your time.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
whitman
Triple-A Player

Actually, just in case someone with a similar prob reads this later, I had to do things precisely as follows for it to work.

The problem jpegs generally seem to be ones saved externally to my machine with some sort of high-level color mode.

1. Open a copy of the offending jpeg in PS Elements, and it should offer to convert to RGB mode - it's the 'unsupported color mode' that seems to be the problem here. Do so.

2. Do a 'save as' and don't change anything (assuming it's saving it as a jpeg), except adding an ID-ing 'conv' or similar tag to end of filename. Click save, and do not change the size of file it offers. Click OK.

3. Open the new conv file in Preview. Make any changes etc that made you want to do this in the first place.

4. Click the red 'close' dot and it will save the conv file with your changes intact.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: