Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Diogones
Triple-A Player

Comparison of burning disc in Disk Utility or Finder

I received a couple of DVDs from a friend who recorded his vacation on them, and I wanted to make DVD player-compatible copies so that I could keep the originals in good condition. I burned them to blank DVDs a couple of different ways, and found a few results:

1.) If I created a DVD .cdr master in Disk Utility, and burned in in DU, the disc played in a DVD player without issue.

2.) If I created a DVD .cdr master in Disk Utility, and burned it with Finder, either through directly burning it or sending it to a Burn Folder first, the disc would not play in a DVD player, because it only made a direct copy of the .cdr to the disc, so the DVD only served as a container for the disc image.

3.) If I duplicated the DVD in Finder with the right-click (or Control-click, for all you sentimental Mac users! ) contextual menu, it duplicated the files on the disc to my Desktop. From there, if I burned them either in DU or in Finder, the outcome was just like option 1: the DVD played fine in the DVD player.

This leads me to conclude that unless a disk image is burned with Disk Utility, it will not actually play properly in a CD/DVD player, but will simply make a copy of the disk image onto the disc via Finder.

Of course, if it is a set of files or folders copied from the disc, then iTunes/Finder, or another app can burn it without issue.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my observations, as I don't want to accidentally keep making non-playable DVDs!
Diogones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Your experience may be different from someone else - however, if you have found a burn method that hasn't worked for you in the past, then why would you choose that method again? You also know why it didn't work.
Learning through experience is a good way to help you avoid making mistakes in the future.
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Diogones
Triple-A Player

Thanks for the reply Delta, but it didn't really answer any of my questions! :P

If I find a burn method that doesn't work, I try it again because maybe it will be different in that instance; as you said, my experience may be different than someone else, so my mileage may vary. Besides, just because it doesn't work with one set of data doesn't mean with won't work with burning something else.

You are very right about learning through experience. As a man wiser than myself once said, "Experience is a good teacher."
Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

And, you didn't actually ask any questions! But, that's putting too fine a point, I suppose. You provided the results of what you had tried, and then you stated that you wanted corrections. I didn't think you needed corrections, as experience should have showed that you didn't use the right method. You appear to be on the right path. My theory is that one should use what works, and not use what doesn't... (correct me if I'm wrong on that!)

An even better method would be to download an app that is designed to make copying a CD/DVD easy, and hopefully "trouble-free"
I like to use either LiquidCD,
http://download.cnet.com/LiquidCD/30...ml?tag=mncol;1
or Burn
http://download.cnet.com/Burn/3000-2...ml?tag=mncol;3
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
johngpt
MVP

Diogones, I think some years ago I had discovered the same phenomenon. Since that time I have only used disk utility to create copies of disks that I wanted able to be played in DVD players.

Once upon a time when my son was playing sports, I would create end of season DVDs from my still images. If I recall, my work flow consisted of importing aliases of the photo files into iPhoto, creating a slideshow there including music, exporting as a Quicktime movie. I think then I imported those movies into iDVD to create the project. I think I exported as a disk image, either .cdr or .dmg, I can't remember which. Then I know I had to use Disk Utility to burn copy after copy for the players.

I recall being very frustrated one time when I had forgotten that process after a year and tried using the Finder method you mentioned, and the DVDs wouldn't play.

My Flickr
johngpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Diogones
Triple-A Player

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing your very detailed anecdote of your own experiences with disc burning on the Mac. I agree with you: I think that Disk Utility is the preferred choice when you need to master a disc that can be played in a CD/DVD player, whereas Finder is more useful for backing up files to discs, or making data, rather than video or music discs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: