Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Diogones
Triple-A Player

Need help recovering Time Machine backup from another Mac

Hey all,

I recently migrated my home folder and settings from my old Mac Mini to a newer iMac using Migration Assistant. Everything copied over successfully, but I've run into a quandary. I accidentally deleted a file from my new Mac, and I have a copy of the file saved on my Mini backups.

After accessing the file from Time Machine, it has the red negative sign on it, and I don't have any permissions on it. Can I simply restore the permissions to me by moving the file back to my iMac drive, and then changing the permissions via Get Info?

Additionally, when I began my Time Machine backup from my iMac onto my backup drive, it asked me if I wanted to reuse the backups. I clicked yes, but now Time Machine began deleting the backups. I stopped it before it could finish. Do I have to lose my entire set of old Mini backups so that I can use the same drive with my newer iMac's Time Machine?
Diogones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Diogones
Triple-A Player

I also noticed that Time Machine added a System folder to the root of the backup drive. Is that normal? I thought Time Machine only added a backupbackdp folder or a sparseimage folder if it was a network drive to the root of the drive. Is this something new in Lion?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Re recovering files:

No need to use Time Machine, just open the Backups.backupdb folder and browse for the file you want.

Re the extra folder:

Did you exclude system files from the backup on both the old and new machine? (no real reason to back up the OS)
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Diogones
Triple-A Player

Thanks for your reply acme. It doesn't matter whether I use Time Machine or Finder to browse my backups; everything is off limits, with the red prohibitory sign through it. Do I need to restore the folder to my Mac and then change the permissions via Get Info?

As for the System Folder, I did not exclude system files from the backup, but they still appear twice: once at the root and once inside the backups.backupdb folder, which is odd, because everything Time Machine backs up is inside the backups folder or sparesimage; there are no separate directories. I beg to differ with you on that point, because if I backup the OS, then I don't have to perform a complete OS reinstall; I simply install a new drive if my old drive fails, boot up from a SL disc or a homemade Lion disc, and restore from my Time Machine backup. It's a lot easier than reinstalling and updating the OS again. Granted, I could make a clone of the drive if I needed a bootable copy, but that would require another backup drive to clone to, which I don't have right now.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogones
It doesn't matter whether I use Time Machine or Finder to browse my backups; everything is off limits, with the red prohibitory sign through it.

That means the user IDs don't match. Easy to get around in the Terminal, bit trickier in the Finder. When you attempt to open the folder does it ask you to authenticate?
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Diogones
Triple-A Player

I wish it did simply ask me to authenticate, but it doesn't even prompt me for an admin password. The Finder simply says I don't have permission to access them, unfortunately.

What I have noticed is that if I copy the folder to my HD from my Time Machine backup, rather than trying to open it on the backup drive, it will ask for authentication, and then it will copy, but I still won't have permission to open it once it is on my Mac's drive. I can change the permissions through Get Info however, as those options are not greyed out.

Thanks for explaining about the user IDs; no wonder I can't access them: since they came from another Mac, I don't have that Mac's permissions. Can I use chmod or something similar in the Finder to reclaim all the backups, or will I have to manually move them onto the drive and change with Get Info?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: