Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 03-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
liahona87
Prospect

Logic pro 7 needs pro app support 3.1? Help!

I bought a full recording setup from a guy recently. Apple dual 2.7 GHz Power PC G5 running Mac os x 10.4.11. I have Logic pro 7 installed on it. I can't even open it because I get a message saying I have the wrong pro app support version installed and that i need to install 3.1 or newer. When I go to install it it prompts me to select which destination volume to install but it won't let me select one. It says the software can only be installed on the startup disk. What does this mean and how do i fix it? I am VERY new to this and mac in general so layman's terms would be appreciated
liahona87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
agentx
Hall of Famer

Ideally you should get a second hand Retail copy of 10.5 Leopard and upgrade your system to 10.5.8 to get your machine to its latest OS it supports. Tiger is so dead as an OS.

I am sorry to say you may be in for a rocky ride as the G5 is old and are very prone to hardware issues. Check inside for any signs of "green" liquid or any form of corrosion.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by liahona87
When I go to install it it prompts me to select which destination volume to install but it won't let me select one. It says the software can only be installed on the startup disk. What does this mean?

So you have downloaded the Pro App Support software from Apple? It needs to be installed on the disk that has your operating system on it. (Usually "Macintosh HD".) Is that disk greyed out in the installer?

Did the guy who sold it to you provide you with the installer disk for Logic, and for the OS? He should have. If he didn't, then he hasn't really sold you the software, as he still has it.

You should ask him whether he did a clean install of the OS and the applications? Otherwise, you should do this. Reinstall the OS, apply all the updates from Apple Software update, and then install Logic and any other apps that you were sold.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
agentx
Hall of Famer

Logic pro 7 requires a nice white dongle to run so not having install disks is sort of irrelevant on that one but nice to have anyway.

Ok now back in the day there were issues with 3.1 Pro App support on PPC that had been upgraded from 10.3. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1113
So first check if Pro Application Support 3 or 3.1 is installed already.
If it is showing as installed you may need to clean out the receipt for package from /Library/Receipts and try and reinstall or update to a later version which may not work on 10.4 anyway. Most of the later Pro App updates are 10.5 or above.

No install disk is very common with older Mac's but technically the EULA for a Mac requires having a valid OS disk. As i said get a retail of Leopard to get the best out of this machine. It may well only cost 15 off ebay make sure you get Black retail disk not grey !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-...item3cc2fa7b8b

Last edited by agentx; 03-05-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
vanakaru
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx
It may well only cost 15 off ebay make sure you get Black retail disk not grey !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-...item3cc2fa7b8b

Please note this eBay link is for MANUAL Booklet only, not for install disk.
vanakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
agentx
Hall of Famer

Oops sorry just a quick look and what a con who the hell would want to buy that but you get the general idea and maybe my pricing is way off as i have not purchased leopard since it came out.

I suppose am lucky enough to have inherited loads of retail disks from broken Mac's or install bases that have moved on to higher OS. I tend to give an OS disk to my clients if they need one ;-) lucky them as you can not buy 10.5/10.6 from Apple and by the looks of the ridiculous second hand price just as well...maybe i should start selling !
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
liahona87
Prospect

The mac hd and audio 1 drives both have red exclamation points over them
Old 03-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
liahona87
Prospect

How do I check which version of pro app support its running???
Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
liahona87
Prospect

Thanks for the help guys. I'm so dense. I just used the install discs for Logic Pro and reinstalled it. Works fine now. Don't know why i didnt think of that

Tags
logic pro 7, power mac g5, pro app support 3.1

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: