Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
acme
MVP

How to determine Key Combo assignments??

I am noticing that Desktop #3 keystroke (Control-3) will not make Desktop #3 appear, regardless of what's assigned to it.

It's not any apple stuff as defined by the System Prefs > Keyboard assignments.

I do not use Control-3 for anything (except Desktops) so I haven't assigned that key combo myself.

Is there a way to find out what Control-3 has been assigned to? I guess I could open up every application and check every menu and sub-menu...not a cheery thought!

Thanks for any clues!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Just so we're on the same page... Under Lion, System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts may have a shortcut listed under Mission Control listing (select it on the left and be sure to expand the disclosure triangle for Mission Control on the right). But also check all of the other options listed on the left of this pane (and their subsequent options on the right) in case they have the Control-3 assignment. And have a look in System Preferences > Mission Control.

If this is your Snow Leopard System, checking these places will largely be the same, though the Mission Control preference pane is obviously called Dashboard & Spaces.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
acme
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOH
Just so we're on the same page... Under Lion, System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts may have a shortcut listed under Mission Control listing (select it on the left and be sure to expand the disclosure triangle for Mission Control on the right). But also check all of the other options listed on the left of this pane (and their subsequent options on the right) in case they have the Control-3 assignment. And have a look in System Preferences > Mission Control.

After checking Keyboard shortcuts and Mission control, nothing has Control 3 assigned to it except for Desktop #3.

a
Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Approach 1: Try changing the assignment from Control-3 to something else. Quit System Preferences, test the new shortcut, relaunch System Preferences, re-assign Control-3. Quit System Preferences, test Control-3, even consider a log out/log in.

Approach 2: Download KeyCue. Using it in trial mode may help. It provides a globally accessible heads-up display for keyboard shortcuts. Download it, launch it, hold the Control key to activate it (takes a second or two), then continue holding the Control key because shortcuts with that modifier will be highlighted. Look for potential Control-3 conflicts.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
acme
MVP

Holy cow! in trying your approach 1, I discovered that you can now use the Num Keypad in those mission control assignments, just as in Snow leopard, which I greatly prefer!!

I also want to try KeyCue...I don't like the idea of some mystery key combo being at work, unbeknownst to me...thank you!

a
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
Holy cow! in trying your approach 1, I discovered that you can now use the Num Keypad in those mission control assignments, just as in Snow leopard, which I greatly prefer!!

Also note that if you set shortcuts in System Preferences > Mission Control, the pop-up menus show keys you can choose. If you hold one or more modifier keys, you see them being added to the choices. My hazy memory is that this is also available in Snow Leopard.

Add-On Tip About KeyCue: Once you've launched it, hold the Command key to bring up its settings options. Or to quit it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: