Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
acme
MVP

Mail attachments appear as code!

Using either Snow or Lion Mail.app, I have between 20 and 35% of email attachments sent to me that appear in my email client as code, rather than as icons I can click on, save, view, etc.

Trying to work with my provider, as this problem seems to coincide with my switching to them, but they aren't being much help.

Anyone else experience this problem, and/or knows the solution? I've also noticed that such emails where the attachments are just a massive amount of code, also don't have any header information..not the kind I'm used to, anyway. Those emails have, where the header stuff would be, this:

--Apple-Mail=_FA52B01D-894D-4E86-B70B-6C27704DD9D7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=us-ascii

thanks for any help!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
Trying to work with my provider, as this problem seems to coincide with my switching to them, but they aren't being much help.

I think that you've already zeroed in on the most likely cause. Something about your ISP's mail server is probably misconfigured.

That said, why don't you try reading your email with Thunderbird http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ and see if the problem continues? Thunderbird is free.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
acme
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
I think that you've already zeroed in on the most likely cause. Something about your ISP's mail server is probably misconfigured.

thanks, trevor..I just may return to T-bird, but what about my ISP's mail server could be misconfigured?

Dunno if telling or suggesting that will change their position, but they are mo def sandbagging right now.

thanks!

a
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

My memory is that you have a bit of email on hand, so maybe this isn't easy to evaluate, but are there any possible commonalities among the emails with problematic attachments? Maybe it's something on the sender side, maybe the issue is date-based (i.e., something changed with on the ISP side at some point), etc.?
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
acme
MVP

ok..the only commonality is attachments are attached, and that they are graphics: PNGs, JPGs, or PDFs.

basically, I have to either Commander Data through all the gigs of bits and develop a theory, or the ISP has to put on the grown-up pants and look at their own settings, or more likely, this is now a part of my every day life.

sigh....

thank you for the suggestion and for reading yet another chapter in my email woes!

;-)

a
Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Is it all messages with those file types attached? Only messages with those file types after a certain date? What happens if you email a PDF (or PNG or JPG) to yourself?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
acme
MVP

it isn't all messages with those file types attached. I'm guessing 20%-35%. sometimes trying again (from the sender side) works.

Just sent myself a jpg. came through fine.

maybe I should try 50 of them, separate emails, see if it "breaks?"

a
Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
maybe I should try 50 of them, separate emails, see if it "breaks?"

Nothing to lose but some of your time. And it's probably hard to determine from your end, but is there anything in common among the senders whose emails have given you issues, like ISP, mail client, or mail service (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
acme
MVP

only thing in common would be Lion Mail client...one of them was on Snow til recently, but both OS X users.

a
Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
trevor

Quote:
thanks, trevor..I just may return to T-bird,

I'm not talking about a long-term commitment to Thunderbird, I'm just suggesting that you download it, enter your mail settings, and run it in parallel with Mail.app. Then, check to see if the emails that come in incorrectly in Mail look correct in Thunderbird.

I'm suggesting Thunderbird as a troubleshooting step to narrow down the scope of the problem, not as a solution.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
acme
MVP

no, that is a good idea...I might just do that in the next couple of days after a project's off my desk.

thank you for suggesting it.

a

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: