Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
akl8609

Angry Macbook pro won't book after inserting system install CD from newer Mac

I have a 2008 MacBook pro and had cracked the screen a while ago (but had installed Leopard v10.5 before that happened). So, I just connected it to my TV screen in order to be able to see the screen and use the system install CD to wipe the computer clean before I sell it for parts.

I read in forums that I can use the system install disc from my new macbook pro to do so, so I instersted the disc and pressed C as I restarted the computer. It shut down and now it will not book back up at all. It has been connected to a power source the whole time, so it's not that.

How do I get it to turn on again? Is the problem with the disc that I inserted?

I am not tech savvy so the more you can simplify your response(s)/talk in layman's terms, I'd appreciate it!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
agentx
Hall of Famer

You will not be able to use a newer machine specific "Grey" install disk with an older device.
You need a retail version of OS or original grey disk for machine to reinstall OS.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Do you not have the original disks that came with the MBP?

A 2008 MBP should have come with Leopard on it to start with, so when you say you "installed Leopard on it", what disk did you use?

If you just want to wipe the disk, then try using Target Mode. Boot up the old MBP while holding down T. If both your MBPs have FireWire, then you can connect them together, and the old MBP will appear as an external hard drive.

You can then wipe it using Disk Utility from your new MBP.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx
You will not be able to use a newer machine specific "Grey" install disk with an older device.
You need a retail version of OS or original grey disk for machine to reinstall OS.

IIRC that applies to the "Install" part - I *think* you can still use the utilities as long as the hardware is grossly compatible (ppc vs. intel, can accept the same OS version etc.)

akl: describe, in copious detail (including measured time and sounds) what happens when you power on the machine whilst holding down the C key on the keyboard.

And if you just want to part it out, simply pull the drive. No one in their right mind wants a used laptop drive anyway.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: