Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
rmc
Prospect

No keyboard on startup Mini?

hello
I recently purchased a Mac Mini Core duo 1.83ghz to use as mediaplayer in my living room.
I noticed that i wasn't able to use any keys during startup, trying to reset the PRAM. Later on, when i replaced the standard 80gb harddrive with a bigger one and trying to use the "C" during startup, i found out t that i can't use any key during startup. I learned that a firmware-password blocks all keys during startup, except alt-option-f-o to enter the open firmware but i can't even enter the open firmware during startup. The mini simply doesn't respond to any key i try to use on startup. Once booted, the keyboard and mouse work both fine in Snow leopard.
What can be wrong with my mini?
rmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
trevor

Exactly, precisely, and including all relevant model numbers, etc., what keyboard are you using with your Mac Mini?

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

And - you can't enter Open Firmware on a Core Duo mini, because your mini doesn't have Open Firmware. That's only for PPC Macs.

If you try other boots, like the C to boot to a DVD, and you get a simple password screen instead, then there's nothing wrong with your mini. You just need to clear that firmware password. The previous owner should know what that is.
Or, failing that, there is another method to clear that firmware password. You should be able to google for that.
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
benwiggy
League Commissioner

If you're using a Bluetooth keyboard with a Mac Mini of "Core Duo" vintage, then the Mac can't read from the keyboard at boot. The Mac was designed before they made the BT keyboards.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
rmc
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
Exactly, precisely, and including all relevant model numbers, etc., what keyboard are you using with your Mac Mini?

Trevor

It's a A1176 Mac mini core duo 1.83 (Mac mini 1.1)
I use a Apple wired aluminium USB keyboard (A1243)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
And - you can't enter Open Firmware on a Core Duo mini, because your mini doesn't have Open Firmware. That's only for PPC Macs.

If you try other boots, like the C to boot to a DVD, and you get a simple password screen instead, then there's nothing wrong with your mini. You just need to clear that firmware password. The previous owner should know what that is.
Or, failing that, there is another method to clear that firmware password. You should be able to google for that.

I don't get a password screen. To be sure i cleared the firmware password using the Snow Leopard DVD. This doesn't seem to help, still no keys at startup.

Could it be that the keyboard is too new (or my mini is too old) for this Mac mini?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

How did you boot your mini to that Snow Leopard DVD, if none of your keyboard startup keys work?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
rmc
Prospect

I changed the startup disc in the system preferences.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Run software update, to see if there's a keyboard update offered.

Does your mini work with a different USB keyboard?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
rmc
Prospect

I purchased an old iMac. This keyboard works fine
Thanks for the support.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: