Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
jwriter
Triple-A Player

Can't view some PDFs on Firefox

On my admittedly old system (Firefox 3.6.8 on OS 10.4.11), the following link just gives me a white window and no PDF.

http://www.vishay.com/doc?31509

Ninety percent of the time, PDFs work fine, just not with this type of URL. Is this most likely a Firefox issue, or is there something about 10.4 that does not support this functionality?
jwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

By "this type of URL," do you mean the Vishay site? The linked PDF was created using iText v 5.0.2 (the current version is 5.2.0). It's possible there's some incompatibility between any combination of iText, the Firefox PDF plugin, or 10.4. What happens if you open the link in a different browser? What if you download the PDF and try to open it with Preview?
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
jwriter
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOH
By "this type of URL," do you mean the Vishay site?

Yes, I thought maybe there was something about the way the URL was formed.
Quote:
The linked PDF was created using iText v 5.0.2 (the current version is 5.2.0). It's possible there's some incompatibility between any combination of iText, the Firefox PDF plugin, or 10.4.

Interesting - thank you for that.
Quote:

What happens if you open the link in a different browser? What if you download the PDF and try to open it with Preview?

I tried Safari and I can see the PDF. The problem with Firefox is the download window never appears (for the Vishay URL), the one that lets you read the PDF in Preview or save the file. It's as if Firefox just hangs before displaying this window.

Anyway, I have an option - appreciate the help.
jwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

I don't know if this will help your PDF issue, but you should update your FireFox. Launch FireFox, and choose Check for Updates, under the Help menu.
That should show you that there's an update to 3.6.27 available.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: