Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 02-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
tpetts
Prospect

Question Apps won't connect

Hi, I'm not sure what I've done but the last 2 applications I've downloaded (Google Chrome & Portrait Professional) won't connect to the internet....they just either have the spinning beach ball or time-out. I'm using an iMac running Lion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tpetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
trevor

Are you behind a proxy server? If not, what settings do you have in System Preferences > Network > select whatever you use to connect to the internet, probably Ethernet or Airport > Advanced > Proxies?

What applications can connect to the internet?

Is there anything at all unusual about your internet connection?

What error messages appear in Google Chrome when you attempt to connect?

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
tpetts
Prospect

Trevor, there are no proxies checked in advanced settings, the only box checked is "Use Passive FTP Mode". Google Chrome message says "the following page has become unresponsive, you can wait or kill. Firefox, Safari, and Adobe suite work ok although Adobe had a problem with the host file which had to be fixed, but I don't know how to locate and/or fix these other ones.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
trevor

Quote:
although Adobe had a problem with the host file which had to be fixed

Can you show us your host file? In your Terminal, you can copy/paste the following command:

cat /etc/hosts

...then copy/paste what it shows back here for us to see.

Trevor
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
tpetts
Prospect

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
tim-pettss-imac:~ timpetts$
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpetts
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
tim-pettss-imac:~ timpetts$

I don't see any problem with that. Did you edit it with a Unix-friendly text editor? The only thing I could think of that might cause a problem and yet be invisible to us is if the /etc/hosts file has got Mac line endings instead of Unix line endings.

Trevor
Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
tpetts
Prospect

Hi Trevor, I'm not sure what you mean. I opened terminal and copied & pasted the info you gave me. I didn't edit anything. With the Adobe problem there was information in there with an Adobe line, which I deleted. Sorry that I can't be more specific but it's an area that is quite foreign to me.
Tim
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
trevor

I'm talking about back when you deleted the Adobe line--what text editor did you use?

Trevor
Old 03-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #9
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
The only thing I could think of that might cause a problem and yet be invisible to us is if the /etc/hosts file has got Mac line endings instead of Unix line endings.

To see that sort of thing, you could do:

vis -w /etc/hosts

instead of just

cat /etc/hosts
Old 03-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #10
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Are there any relevant messages in the system log, made when one of these apps starts spinning? Use the Console utility to check.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
tpetts
Prospect

I think I've located the problem, but I thought I deleted Little Snitch some time ago; I can't find any remnants of it on my mac:
5/03/12 1:32:43.503 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.app4mac.CheckUpAgent) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
5/03/12 1:32:51.280 PM Little Snitch UIAgent: No Info.plist file in application bundle or no NSPrincipalClass in the Info.plist file, exiting
5/03/12 1:32:51.281 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.503: (at.obdev.LittleSnitchUIAgent[7947]) Exited with code: 1
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I think I've located the problem, but I thought I deleted Little Snitch some time ago....

Deleting the application does not completely remove Little Snitch from a computer. This is one reason why the Little Snitch installer includes an option to uninstall, rather than simply moving the application to the Trash.

Quote:
...I can't find any remnants of [Little Snitch] on my mac....

If you searched using Spotlight, that would explain why you don't see all of the Little Snitch files. There are System- and user-level areas that Spotlight by default does not include in its results. To look anywhere on your system for something, free tools like EasyFind or Find Any File are much better than Spotlight. To simply address your Little Snitch issue, you could download the installer and run the uninstaller and, optionally, remove the secondary Little Snitch files listed on that page.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
tpetts
Prospect

That's it! You were right NaOH. I reinstalled Little Snitch, told it to allow the apps & now everything works! So, my question now is, is there a way to uninstall Little Snitch and not have any remnants of it? If not, I'll happily leave it there.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #14
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Follow all of the instructions from the last link in my earlier post and it will be gone from your machine. Even if there's anything somehow missed, running the installer will get rid of the key files (those that actually do something). But you can use either of the search utilities I mentioned to look for little snitch and for obdev to track down any of the miscellaneous and unimportant files that might remain if you're concerned.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: